SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - How do I assign a letter on a newly created partition?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Designing5
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 406 times

Designing5
Designing5

I'm currently using MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition v7.7. I deleted all my partitions to clean install, however, my "C:" went away and don't know how to get it back. On the "Create New Partition" dialog box, all I don't get the option to select a letter. How can I assign one here?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Use Disk Management, it is the easiest. But if you want to use PW, highlight the partition and click on the partition tab > Change letter.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

From the picture, you are creating a new partition, what happens when you click the drop down arrow in "Drive Letter"?

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

@G41M: I'm glad you asked that! The option for the only says "None"
@whs: That option is grayed out, even after I format the partition.

I have set it to "Primary" under the "modify" section. This will show you the available options.
Remember: I can't get to Task Manager because I don't how to do it without Windows being installed yet.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Not 100% sure but, if you are using PW bootable CD/usb flash drive, you can not assign/change drive letter. You can do that in the Windows version of PW but as whs pointed out above Disk Management is simpler. Just go ahead and do a clean install of the Operating System you want and it will automatically assign drive letter.

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

That makes A LOT of sense now. I will try to clean install like that then and hopefully, during the installation, it will assign a letter. As it stands right now, the partition is set as "active" and "primary" (not logical). I'm gonna try to install like that and I will let you gentlemen know about it later. Thanks a lot G!

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Good morning! Both of you were right. I however G41M pointed out something that made so much sense: I couldn't change a letter with a usb bootable stick. I did the installation as normal and the process automatically assigned a letter for me. Thanks a lot for your help and advice!

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Most probably, the reason why you can not assign/change drive letter is that PW Live CD uses "Unix-like" Operating system which uses Unix mount points in its file system and does not assign drive letters to drives/partitions like DOS, Windows, etc.

Glad you sorted that out.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.