How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How disable Windows Genuine Advantage

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jz50pu
  • Latest reply from mikehunt
  • Topic Viewed 1831 times

jz50pu

Hi guys,

First of all id i like to thank u all for sharing ur knowledge...

Anyway, i upgraded my vista to windows 7 and it went really fine & i manage to keep all my files and folders intact!!
But after that this "windows genuine advantage" Notification just keep popping out and freaken drives me crazy!! Also i cant hear any sound from my computer as well! WMP & monkey player is working perfectly but i cant hear anything from my speakers..
PLS help...

Posted 4 years ago

mikehunt
mikehunt

Disabling the “Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications” Screen

Step #1: Access your Windows Task Manager by pressing (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) on your keyboard. Click on the "Processes" tab at the top of the dialogue box. Click on the process "wgatray.exe" and then press on the "End Process" button.

Step #2: Restart your computer in Safe Mode. You can initiate Safe Mode by tapping the F5, F8, DEL or NUM Lock key, depending on the type of BIOS you have, and choosing "Safe Mode."

Step #3: Locate the file C:\Windows\System32. Delete the file wgatray.exe. Next, navigate to the file C:\Windows\dllcache. Delete the file wgatray.exe.

Step #4: Click on Start and then Run. Type regedit into the text field. This will open the Registry Editor. In the Registry Editor, navigate to this entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_\SOFTWARE\Microsoft \Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify. Click on this registry key and delete the folder named: WgaLogon.

Step #5: Close your Registry Editor and restart your computer. When prompted to install the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications screen again, just unselect it. You are now rid of that nagging notification screen.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!