The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How come i have to change my password every month or so

(14 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by ak03
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 9351 times

ak03

I hope this thread make front page as a tip in vista. Other than that here's the problem. My dad has to change his password every month or so in vista (vista make him for some reason). I tried setting a new password from my account (since im the admin) but vista insisted that it be changed for some reason. this happens on no other account. Any ideas on why this is happening? Also is there a registry hack or something to enable/ Disable this feature.

Posted 7 years ago

ak03

Also i cant get to local security policy or what ever its called for some reason.

I looked at this article by the way:

http://codeidol.com/security/v.....4DCAB721F8

Is there a way to get to local security policy

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

There's a registry setting for this, I think... I agree, this would make a good article.

Geek ?

Posted 7 years ago

ak03

Geek, I need your help.

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

And here you are =)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....n-windows/

Thanks for the article suggestion!

Posted 7 years ago

ak03

How would i go about doing this in home editions of vista. i have home premium. is there a way i can download and install the snap-in or something?

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

password expiration isn't available in home premium... unless there's a custom application installed.

Posted 7 years ago

ak03

I dont know how it happened that it happens to his account. So i can install a app that will change the setting?

Posted 7 years ago

Troyhusker

I'm having the same problem with some of the user accounts on my computer saying that the password will expire in x number of days. My account is an administrator account and it has not given me any warnings about my password expiring. I'm using Windows Vista Home Edition Premium.

How do I fix this?

Posted 7 years ago

ak03

Like the geek said in his article, "this only works with windows vista bisness/ ultimate and windows xp professional. MY question is. Is there an app that can fix this... or is there a way we can download and install the snapin

Posted 7 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I just did a google search for "Windows Vista User Account Management Tool" and found a user management tool for XP/Vista Home Editions at http://www.xphometools.com/ .
The site says it's $10 for the program but I just tried it and it appears to work without paying for it.

Posted 6 years ago

ak03

Sweet ill try it tonight

Posted 6 years ago

ak03

It works! Thanks. This should be front page if not blog space news.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You're Welcome. I guess the above article will need to be updated now.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.