How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How come I have no Network List?

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by krsn89
  • Latest reply from krsn89
  • Topic Viewed 1821 times

krsn89
krsn89

I'm a "noob", relatively speaking, when it comes to laptops and networks and probably computers in general. And especially Windows Vista!

I do have a router on my downstairs PC, so I get internet wirelessly. Messing around with my network settings on Vista on the laptop, I came across what appears to be a Network List. Basically, it listed all of the wireless networks I've EVER connected to: my router, wireless internet at school, my friends' networks, coffee shop ones, etc. I guess it saved them. It also said if they were managed or unmanaged. It also gave me the option to remove the networks.

Now, for the LIFE OF ME, I can't seem to access that window again! I've been asking everyone and they keep leading me to Vista's Control Panel. I keep getting led to either Manage Wireless Networks or Connect to a Network. NEITHER of those is what I'm looking for. I stumbled across this: ftp://ftp.bookpool.com/sc/41/0735622841_2.pdf, and the pictures and explanation basically says that you can get to this network list by Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet>View Internet Status and Tasks. Once you get to the View Internet Status and Tasks page, on the left pane under See Also is the heading Network List. For me, I don't have that heading.

If someone could tell me WHY I can't find this or HOW I can find this Network List is, I would be much obliged. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything at all, but I accessed that window BEFORE I enabled Windows Firewall, but I'm not sure if that's relevant. If anyone could tell me anything they know about this AT ALL, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance,
- Kylie

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Network and Sharing Center>Connect to a Network>show All ?

Posted 6 years ago

krsn89
krsn89

No, that wasn't the screen I was looking for. This one shows all the networks I've BEEN on, even if they're not in range. For example, it showed the one I was using at school, which is two hours away. This screen also says if the network is "managed" or "unmanaged". I'm not sure what that means, but I honestly can't find the screen. The link to the pdf file above showed a screenshot of it, which was the same one I had, but I can't find the link to "Network List" in my Control Panel.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Network and Sharing Center>Customize>Merge or delete Network Locations.

Voila !

Posted 6 years ago

krsn89
krsn89

Haha! Thanks so much! =D

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!