SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - How Can I see the Amount Of Resources A Program Is Consuming ....

(11 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by vistual
  • Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 736 times

vistual
vistual

Hey guys ...
how can i see how much cpu / ram / etc., / resources are being consumed by a particular program.
I've looked in Task Manager but dont see the program listed anywhere. (fences)

3rd party app ???

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Interesting question. It seems that the only time you see Fences.exe is when you click on Configure fences in the desktop context menu. Then it is 18MB. When double clicking the desktop to make the fences disappear the explorer.exe Image pops up in the top CPU users for a quick time. Outlining for a new fence also causes Explorer to popup to the foreground.

I have used this program for about 6-9mo and like it. I also have clients with messy desktops who also like it.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

Xhi!
thanks for chiming in man ...
you're right - it came right up when i did that.
i got 20,524K showing - is that good or bad???

• Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
• Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.24 GB
• Available Physical Memory 1.68 GB
• Total Virtual Memory 6.68 GB
• Available Virtual Memory 5.27 GB
• Page File Space 3.53 GB

i should probably start a new topic since in reality i would like to know which of three might tax my system less ; rocketdock (which im very familiar with, cause i used it for a good while in the past), fences which im playing around a little with right now, and objectdock that ive never used.
I CANNOT FIND a comparison or details about what the footprint of either one of these is. Ugh!

EDIT:
i know my system is not half the monster of what some of you guys roll with but what do you think. / besides actual testing, how can someone look at that versus a machines specs and figure more or less if its wasted energy.
another thing to note of course is that i have disabled a good bunch of services and processes so i do have a little reserve. no aero for example - standard theme (which youve probably noticed from screenshots - etc.,etc.,) and the list gos on.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

I got 20MB once but another time I got the 18MB. I was interested enough to get up and go downstairs to my computer with fences on it to see if I could find it, but beyond that I really don't care, lol.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

right, i gotya. know what you mean ...
thanks again for taking the time!

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You can get some of those in Task Manager.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

And this, a very useful tool for monitoring; http://sourceforge.net/projects/processhacker/

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

will be giving that a try this afternoon Mike, thanks a bunch!!
FYI - clicked on the "Process Hacker Web Site >" link and found that they have a portable version available too : )
thanks guys!

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Yep, very useful. Have fun

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

that thing is full of bells and whistles.
i never played around with it before.
heres what i got. i took screenshot of the two to compare.

ph measures in "private bytes / in MB" while tm measure "memory private working set / in K".

still im not sure what im looking at here and still not sure how to gauge if this would be considered (significant )"resource consuming" ???

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

just following up to update ..
i gave fences a try as well as reinstalled rocketdock so that i can have something to compare the screenshot above with.

made a quick vid to share my thoughts and opinions on both and why i chose one over the other...
http://youtu.be/-2iwaG-c1Cw?hd=1

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.