The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

How can I remove old network connections

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by tonyespo
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 77672 times

tonyespo

First I would like to say I'm new here, and that I did a forum search and didn't find anything relating to my problem. I recently installed a Linksys PCI wireless card in my computer. I had to remove it and re-install it several times to get it set up properly. I'm using XP Professional. I have it working even though the speed isn't what I was hoping for. My problem is on the bottom right hand corner of my taskbar it tells me I am on connection 11. How do I get rid of the other 10 old connections? Every time I reloaded drivers and removed my PCI network card another connection was started by Win XP. I have tried everything I can think of and I can't get my connection number back to 1 and get rid of the no longer used connections.

Thanks for any help.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

tonyespo,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155

Also in Network Manager, DELETE any ghost network connections.
-----------------------------------
Copied solution from another source:
-----------------------------------
Device Manager Does Not Display Devices That Are Not
Connected to the Windows XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/d.....-us;315539

to force Device Manager to show the nonpresent devices.
The nonpresent ghosts should now reveal themselves.
You could then delete the nonpresent network adapter from device manager,
and re-boot.

The network connection should be gone.

Each LAN connection uses a particular hardware network adapter, as
shown in the connection's properties under "Connect using". The only
way to delete a LAN connection is to go to Device Manger and remove
the network adapter that the connection uses and then to prevent
Windows XP from re-detecting and re-installing the network adapter in
one of these ways:

1. Physically remove the network adapter if it's an add-on card, or:

2. Disable the network adapter in the computer's BIOS setup if it's
integrated into the motherboard.

It's easier to simply right click, disable, and ignore an unused LAN
connection.

Posted 5 years ago

tonyespo

This is what I have under the network adapter tab.
Direct Parallel
Linksys wireless-n pci adapter WMP 300n
Linksys wireless-n pci adapter WMP 300n Packet Schedual miniport
Microsoft TV/Video connection
RAS Anysc Adapter
VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter
Via Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter Packet Schedual Miniport
WAN miniport (IP)
WAN miniport (IP) miniport
WAN miniport (IPX)
WAN miniport (L2tp)
WAN miniport (PPPOE)
WAN miniport (PPTP)

If I try to uninstall one it tells me it can't uninstall it because the device may be needed to boot the computer.

I don't really understand what I can and can't delete. What are all those WAN miniport things about?

Thanks for you reply and help
Tony

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

DO (NOT) (NOT) TRY TO DELETE ANY OF THE ITEMS IN YOUR POST !!!!!!!!!

Posted 5 years ago

tonyespo

I tried to run the Devcon thing and I can't get it to run. If I don't delete any of the items in my post how to I remove the extra network connections that XP is telling me I have?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

tonyespo,
I know of what you speak about and am trying to think of what I use to do to clean up the dead entries.
The dead connection names are (not) hurting your machine.
DO EXACTLY what this article says however I do (not) think it will change the name of the current connection.
The current connection (name) is what needs to be changed in many keys in the registry.
It is a (name change) and (not) the connection or a protocol change.

http://www.vincentverhagen.nl/.....indows-xp/
------------------------------------------
EDIT: 1
Change Name of Wireless Connection in Registry - BE CAREFUL
http://windowsitpro.com/articl.....istry.html
EDIT 2
Download and Install this FREE registry cleaner.
Use after Reboot and Edit: 1.
http://www.eusing.com/free_reg.....leaner.htm

Posted 5 years ago

tonyespo

I tried what is in the first link the vincentverhagen link and it's exactly what have already done and you warned me NOT to delete anything,
I did what is explained in the second link and changing the name doesn't change the number of connections listed.

When I mouse over the wireless connection icon I get "wireless network connection 11" (linksys) I guess as long as everything works fine I will have to live with it.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

tonyespo,
For simplicity sake, just think of them as networking protocol machine configurations in the Registry.
There are drivers associated with them.
EXAMPLE:
WAN miniport (L2tp)
Old Reference but still Good.
http://www.microsoft.com/techn.....x?mfr=true

Posted 5 years ago

tonyespo

raphoenix, I found them (WAN miniport's) in my registry and all but I don't understand what I can delete without causing a problem. I guess I can do a registry backup and then play around with them. The problem is whenever I screw with the registry I end up getting my computer where it won't boot and I have to go to safe mode and such and re-install stuff or use the XP restore to date feature. There just isn't any easy way to know what Adapters I can remove from the registry to get the number back to normal. What if I keep playing around and trying different network adapter arrangements will the number keep getting higher and higher? Is there a maximum number of connections that it will allow? I think I will call linksys support and see if they have an answer for this issue.

raphoenix, thanks so much for all your help.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

tonyespo,
EXACTLY !!!!
THAT IS WHY I (DO NOT) WANT YOU TO DELETE (ANYTHING) FROM THE REGISTRY !!!!!

Posted 5 years ago

daven

Hello,

Years ago the multiple "local area connection"s issue was driving me crazy while using software that routinely added and then (supposedly) removed virtual network devices.
What I discovered was that I could use software such as jv16 power tools (http://www.macecraft.com) and do a search in the registry for "local area connection" and it will find the current and all past left over entries for virtual network devices/connections.
To my pleasure I was able to tell jv16 to delete/clear/clean all occurrences of "local area connection" #xx listed (even the current entry!) and then go to the "Network Connections" folder in Windows and simply rename the current network connection to whatever I want.
The current network connection continued to work in cases where I didn't reboot, and proved to be completely functional and normal upon reboot.
Proof that I had cleared things back to "local area connection" was when I created a new network connection (if "local area connection" already exists), it was labeled "local area connection 1", "local area connection 2", etc. as normal.
Whenever I need to do this, I do it, and I have always done this through out the years with no detrimental effects.
Hope this helps.
Daven

Posted 5 years ago

daven

My apologies for not proof reading better.

Daven

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@daven,

Your solution will work. :) :)

It's getting to the point I have so many tools, I can't remember them all in my old age and am begining to flounder around. (LOL) (LOL)

Thanks for jumping in !!!!

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.