SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - How can I get rid of a virus without paying $100 to $150 to do it?

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by curry318
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 620 times

curry318
curry318

I bought a new printer and it was working fine, then it just went through the motions, but there was no ink on the paper. I hooked up another printer that was working fine before it put it away, I put in a new ink cartridge, and it did the same thing, no ink on the paper. I called Canon, they remotely accessed my computer and told me that the printer drivers were not working and that I had a virus.

I don't understand how I can have a virus when I have Norton Antivirus free from Comcast; SpeedMaxPC; CCleaner and SuperAntiSpyware that I run very often. And they all say everything is fine.

Canon wanted $100 to $139 to fix the virus problem and Norton wanted over $100 without even looking to see if I really had that problem or not. I've been ripped off so many times, I don't believe any of them anymore.

After the two printer problems, I noticed that my Jing capture thing is gone and when I tried to unload my camera, that would not work either. As far as I can tell, everything else works.

Do you have any ideas what I can do? Thanks. Pat

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....i_malware/ Try this the free version. Delete all it finds. Then reboot.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

After you run the Malwarebytes you might want to uninstall your printer software.
Go into device mgr and make sure your printers are not showing. If they are then uninstall them. Unplug your printer. Reboot then plug your printer and reinstall only one of your printer.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

After the two printer problems, I noticed that my Jing capture thing is gone and when I tried to unload my camera, that would not work either. As far as I can tell, everything else works. This is what bothers me.

Posted 1 year ago

irule311

The easiest way would be reinstalling the OS, but that would take a lot of time and you will lose all your files.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

If it is a new printer, return it to them under warranty and get a replacement. Then ask them to instal it for you.

I got rid of all paid av crap long time back and am issue-free with free MSE, Ccleaner and Spybot S&D.

Posted 1 year ago

curry318
curry318

OK, I did the Malwarebytes scan. It didn't find a thing wrong. I removed both printers completely, and then hooked them up again separately. One started working again. The other one with the new color ink cartridge worked except the ink did not work, so I think the new ink is actually empty. Is that possible???

I also got Jing back and my camera worked. So the only thing wrong now is that the ink shows up empty and will not print. The black cartridge was already empty I know for sure, but it actually printed out very faded, but visible, so that new color cartridge is absolutely empty.

Now my questions is, Malwarebytes showed that nothing was wrong, so why is everything working now except for the empty ink? This stuff drives me nuts!

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Have you checked the new ink cartridge ?

Sometimes they have a little foil tab that needs to be removed before being placed into the machine.

Also check to see if it looks like the ink entry/exit has been pierced (depending on type of printer).

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Canon wanted to charge you that much? Are you 100% certain you had Canon themselves on the phone? If it was some kind of bug that is holding your printer hostage, its probably scamware.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

@curry318, First you need to be cautious whe you allow someone to remote access your computer. Could cause trouble.
Maybe you had a corrupt file and by uninstalling and reinstalling your printers it cleared itself

Posted 1 year ago

curry318
curry318

I did have a funny feeling that I didn't really have Canon on the phone. I didn't know they could hijack my phone, too. Damn! You can't trust anybody. Are you guys sure YOU are real! :) Just kidding.

Also, I think some of my problems did get fixed by removing and then reinstalling them. BUT, the biggest surprise of all is this: I figured out that I installed the OLD empty ink cartridge instead of the NEW one! Can you believe that??? What an idiot I am. Next time something like this happens, I am going to check the simplest, most obvious possibilities first.

Thank you again, so much. Pat

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thanks for the post back. Your not an idiot, human.

Posted 1 year ago

curry318
curry318

Thank you, warlock. Just for everyone's information, I called Canon and told them what happened. The lady I spoke to told me that they have had many calls about this. She assured me that Canon does not charge for anything and they do not remotely access computers. She said they cannot stop anyone from advertising online that they can do this.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly how I reached the crook I talked to who tried to rip me off. I thought I was contacting www.canonusa.com and got a phone number from there. The guy who answered the phone had an east indian accent. He showed me all kinds of screens that showed how many things on my computer had "stopped." Not long after I talked to him, I noticed that the Jing capture thing was not working and that I could not get pictures off my camera.

This experience reminded me of a recent very similar problem I had with what I thought was a Microsoft person. I got a funny feeling about that guy, too. Actually, there were two of them that I spoke with. They told me that I had a virus, too, and wanted about $300, but kept going down in price. I just knew something was fishy. I never thought I would thank God that I didn't have any money. I told you guys about that and you knew who those guys were. I never thought I'd get caught in that kind of trap again. Boy, they're slick, aren't they?

What a cesspool of evil we live in! Thank you all again for all the help you have given me. I tell everyone about you. You are angels. Pat

Posted 1 year ago

brianfedor

What an incredible story! I am always amazed at the scams that are out there.

I've been in the IT industry for over 14 years and there's always something new it seems. This one just affirms that the scamming business is alive and well… And apparently profitable for people to keep doing it. I'm just glad that you followed your intuition and didn't end up like so many people who get scammedby these folks.

Under venture to say that most cases where people find their computers getting infected with malware or end up falling victim to identity theft are because they are missing the right mindset to protect themselves.

We can have all of the best antivirus software, firewalls, and security measures in place – but what really matters is prevention. In fact,I've written in a 110-page e-book on this very topic called xxxxx

if anyone would like to download a free report I created it about this xxxxxxxx I'd love to get feedback from the kind of people participating in this forum.

Best of luck to everyone!

Edit by mod. Self promotion is against the rules here.

Posted 1 year ago

curry318
curry318

I'd love to see that e-book. How can I get it?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

@Curry318; Perhaps you did not notice the moderator discouraged self promotion so it will not be posted here. A wise member might check his post or his profile for information to Google, if interested.

Edit by mod. You should know better.

Edit: I forgot.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!