How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - How can I get Free Internet connection

(55 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by richmondreb
  • Latest reply from richmondreb
  • Topic Viewed 3331 times

richmondreb

Hi everybody,
Since I'm having problems with my wireless router right now, I was wondering if anybody knew of a
way I could connect my parents computer to the internet without being on a landline or cable for Free!!
Aw yes, I do dream BIG! Please advise.......... :-)

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No such thing as free Internet.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

At McDo, Starbucks, the airports, etc. you can connect to the internet for free. At your own home, you need an ISP.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Ummm, everywhere I know with wifi hotspots, require you to buy at least 1 cup of coffee. or such. Airports I wouldn't go near. They infect your computer and steal your info.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

LH, Starbuck and McDonald's don't, you can just sit there, but I guess they could ask you to leave.

Here in the US, a bunch of Internet Cable providers have put in HOT SPOTS in many places. If you are a customer of those companies, you 'provider' sign-in will get you on the Internet. SOME NEWS ON THAT for you to read... I believe the local libraries are also wireless hotspots too, at least here.

It seems to be the 'coming' thing. I've seen signs pop up for them in many places. Of course, 'stealing' data in any 'public' place is something to watch out for when going wireless...

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

richmondreb

OK,
How about this then, anybody know of a way to get on the Internet via some other way
then landline or cable?????????? If I could at least find a way to do that, I'll figure out the
rest on my own and please don't mention wireless router. I'm asking my wireless provider
about this link; http://www.trendnet.com/downlo.....YPE_ID=955
Since the Tech I talked to told me I needed a New router and the one I have is listed, I thought
being able to download would be Sweeeeet!

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

You could go on mobile internet. What country are you in?

Posted 2 years ago

richmondreb

@ StringJunky,
I'm in the USA,,,,,,,,, any problem there and does mobile internet require landline or cable??

PS: Can't do it, McAfee won't let me...... :-(

Posted 2 years ago

richmondreb

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If you have a Modem Card, might find a Free Dial Up Service here and there.

Be careful of SCAMS however.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

richmondreb,

First of all, you need to get rid of McAfee and get this http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....ssentials. What tony is recommending is to use your cell phone as your modem which can be done but would be more expensive than a cable connect in my opinion. As far as a free wireless setup? there's not one unless you want to move to McDonald's like Irv mention but there's no free connection in home.

John

Posted 2 years ago

richmondreb

@ jmeeks,
I can't get rid of McAfee as it's part of the Verizon Internet Security Suite I have.
Can you look at my post under Irv's and check out that link??

Thanks,
Robin

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

richmondreb, do you own a working/activated smartphone?

Posted 2 years ago

richmondreb

@ CompWiz,
No, I just own a basic cell phone that I don't use very often as I HATE CELL PHONES!
I only use it for Emergencies and only when I have too. I'm on what is probably the
cheapest plan ever and if I changed it I'd never get it back.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

And why don't you go out and buy a new router for 35 bucks?

Posted 2 years ago

richmondreb

@ whs,
I could do that, just like the cheaper way out (Free) when possible............ :-)
Have you or anyone else looked at this link????

http://www.trendnet.com/downlo.....YPE_ID=955

TrendNet is my wireless router now and I was wondering if I could download
the one I have to keep from having to install another one.
Would someone ( like "LIGHTHOUSE") please advise. Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Link is no good.

You can't d/l a router, you have to get the h/w.

Most ISP's also 'rent' the h/w if you want wireless... a few $$$'s a month.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Ah, the same link above worked. Something wrong with the latest one you created.

Those are FLASHES for the Router. You can use those as long as your Router is working, it updates the FIRMWARE.

Maybe you should tell us WHY you think a new router is required? What happened and why does the ISP's tech support say it is needed?

I'll assume Verizon is the ISP and they have supplied a modem (non-wireless) and you've got a router to send the signal out wirelessly.

OK, then you do have Internet service. You could use a cable, RJ45, to connect directly to a computer, may need to get a wired card or USB device, and either move the computer or modem, or even a long RJ45 cable, but that will also work.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

It looks like the OP is really lost. He cannot tell the difference between hardware, firmware and software. It will be difficult ot fix his problem from here.

I am not sure whether this router is really defunct. Best would be to try to reset it and reconfigure it. Not sure though whether the OP knows how to do that. Maybe he should get some on-site help.

Posted 2 years ago

richmondreb

@ both Irv & whs,
I spoke to the Tech at TrendNet (my router) and told him the last time I had called,
I was told to uninstall and reinstall the adapter (which I did) but, the signal kept
dropping. That's when he told me to get another router. I spoke to the Tech at
work,after telling him what had happened and that my computer (home base)
still worked (never having any problem), he told me to get another adapter
(maybe this time use Flash card adapter) which I think I will.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.