The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

How can I erase a DVD-RW disc?

(16 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by IceMan31
  • Latest reply from JoshWebs
  • Topic Viewed 28776 times

IceMan31

I got Windows 7 Home Premium and I usually use Freemake to burn my video compilation and data discs. I also have some DVD-RW discs that are not empty and I want to erase them to re-use them. Is there a way within W7 or another free software that may enable me to perform this task. Thanks in advance!

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Have you tried putting the disk in the drive click on open folder to view files, or go to Start->Computer->Click on the drive then click on Erase this Disk on the toolbar?

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

IceMan31

I don't know if Vista has that "Erase this disk" button on it but Windows 7 Home Premium does not. Is there any other way?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

My windows 7 has it See picture

Posted 2 years ago

IceMan31

What version of windows 7you got Xhi? For some reason I am missing that option / feature in Windows 7 Home premium and trust me, it IS a legit copy of it. I really wonder what is going on. I've tried everything (I think) so far without any luck...

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

I do have Windows 7 Professional SP1, but I wouldn't think that would be a difference, but maybe it is. This says it applies to all editions of Windows 7. So I'm stumped.

You could always try it at another Windows 7 system.

Ah a question popped into mind... Is the drive you are putting it in a drive capable of writing????

I saw this Video How To Erase A CD-RW/DVD-RW. Free, Quick, Easy. but I have no idea if the software mentioned is really ok.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Rick posted the perfect answer above, ImgBurn. Works like a dream come true.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

It's not exactly intuitive, but it works. Still wondering why he does not have the Erase Disk on his W-7. However I note that if I put the R/W disk in my ROM drive and not the RE-Writable drive the erase function IS NOT THERE!. If that is also his problem then even ImgBurn will not help

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

@Xhi, Are you sying yo uput a CD-RW into a CD-DVD burner or is it just a DVD Rom?
If the OP just has a DVD Rom he will not be able to do anything except to play a Cd or DVD.

@IceMan31, Can you go into device manager and click on your CD-DVD Rom and click on it to expand the exact device you have then post it?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Yes I have both a DVD-ROM and a DVD-RW drive in my computer. If I put the R/W disk in the DVD R/W I get the Erase Disk button pictured above. When doing the same thing with the DVD-ROM drive the Erase button is not there.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Then one of two things:
The OP has a DVD-Rom
Win7 home version doesn't have that option, but I doubt MS would be that Stupe to leave that option out

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

It said in the link I posted above that it applied to all editions. But sometimes Microsoft can make a misstatement, I guess.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

saw that, guess it leaves the Rom or a defective burner

Posted 2 years ago

JoshWebs
JoshWebs

1. Insert the DVD-RW into your DVD drive
2. Start >> Computer
3. Right click on the drive with the DVD-RW in.
4. Left click "Erase this disc"

Posted 2 years ago

JoshWebs
JoshWebs

Erase a CD or DVD

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.