The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Hotkey issue in windows 7

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Mediator
  • Latest reply from Mediator
  • Topic Viewed 1691 times

Mediator

I've searched but haven't found the fix for this yet. I was going through the 175 tweaks and tips for win 7 and was loving all of the enhancements you guys posted that would make me more efficient. I like hotkeys for ease of use and speed...... I completed the creating a shortcut for changing the power mode, turning the monitor off and putting the computer to sleep. However when I reboot I loose the hotkeys on all of the shortcuts and they no longer work. The shortcut itself continues to work by double clicking it but not the hot key combination. Here are my combinations in case windows is setting back to the default for some reason on reboot:

CTRL + ALT + NUM 1
CTRL + ALT + Num 2
CTRL + ALT + Num 3

Can anyone shed some light on why this might be happening?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Mediator hi. I don't know, but try using hibernate instead of sleep. Let us know if that works please.

Posted 4 years ago

Mediator

LH it's not just the sleep it's also the power option shortcut key combo that isn't working. It's like all of the key combos I made for those 3 shortcuts get erased or at least disabled from working when I completely reboot the OS (not when I wake up from sleep mode) though the key combo is still in the appropriate place when I look at the properties of each shortcut.

I can create them over again and they work fine until I reboot the OS.

I'm not suing any 3rd party drivers for the keyboard and it's a standard microsoft keyboard so I think that would rule out a keyboard issue.

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

Don't know why but every hotkey I've ever tried to use in Vista or now Win 7, goes away on a reboot.

Posted 4 years ago

Mediator

Tom,

You might want to monitor this post here http://www.sevenforums.com/cus.....post569108

This seems to be the only post so far the speaks of the exact problem we are experiencing. We are researching to see if we can come up with a solution. I will post back here too once we have something resolved. There is something whether that be a program or a windows service that seems to be erasing, resetting or preventing this from working properly but I have no idea what exactly it is yet.

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

OK, Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Where are you putting these shortcuts? Shortcut keys can only work if the shortcut is on the desktop or in the start menu. If you create a shortcut on the desktop, add a shortcut key, then move the shortcut, it's going to break when you restart.

The other problem that sometimes happens is the order of the shortcuts being grabbed - another application could be overriding that shortcut when you reboot. You might want to look in the settings for the apps you have in the startup.

Posted 4 years ago

Mediator

Professional Geek - yes that was the original issue I had with moving the shortcuts to another folder. But I still had the problem even with them being on the desktop. So this is what I have done but I'm not really sure how this corrected it. I just used the migrate tool migwiz to move all of my settings from my home computer to the office computer which I had planned on doing anyway so I could start working from the office again. Once I completed the migration and the shortcuts appeared on the desktop they were working again upon reboot. I have been workign with the computer for a couple of days and they have continued to work just fine.

I completely wiped and reformatted my home comuputer (not because of this issue - I was unable to update windows or restore) and then used migwiz to migrate all user account information and settings back to this computer. And just like the office computer the shortcuts now work fine with multiple reboots etc.... I cleaned something up in doing this and sure would like to know what exactly it was for future reference.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Mediator

I also received this answer on Technet.microsoft.com which may help people in the future. http://social.technet.microsof.....#38;ppud=4

Transferring the settings seemed to be what did the trick.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!