How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - hook ups

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bubbatie1
  • Latest reply from bubbatie1
  • Topic Viewed 1130 times

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

is it possible to run 1 wireless modem upstairs & a hard line one down stairs on the same phone line ?

here's the story

got a new comp & wireless router/modem this christmas win 7 works awesome !

took the old vista to basement for kiddo's. along with the old dsl modem.

hooked everything up but the internet connection baffels me .
on a phone line junction box in basement i hooked another line in , plugged in old dsl modem that vista was using before christmas & nothing

oddly enough it seems to knock out the upstaird modem .

unpludg it & upstairs is fine .

any idea's ?????????????

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

No. Only one could be logged in to your ISP at a time. Your ISP may record the MAC address of your device, making it impossible to use two.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Posted as SAME time. :)

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

so basicly im looking at a 50 ft ethernet cable to downstairs comp ?

i could move wirless downstairs ehernet that in & go wireless upstairs ?

ok cannot move wireless downstairs as direct tv is tied in upstairs .

whs ... will that "dongle" work on a 2006 vista ?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Or a WiFi dongle for the downstairs system to connect to the router - maybe cheaper than a long cable. http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....0U008T8237

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

You could also look at something like this..
http://www.tplink.com/ir/produ.....L-PA211KIT

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NETG.....r/13994812 something like this

?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I recently got one of these NETGEAR WN2500RP Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, 4-port WiFi Adapter - Wireless network extender - 802.11 a/b/g/n which works quite well to let my step son borrow the free Internet from the Library across the street. It has 4 WAN ports along with the wireless access.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

How does that work ??

Do you connect to the existing router with a LAN cable and disable the existing router WiFi signal ??

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It simply boosts the signal from the Wireless router like connecting wireless to wireless, no cable necessary. Place it anywhere between the two end points. Then he could connect wireless or wired.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I would not think that he needs a booster. He is talking about a distance of 50 feet.. The WiFi should cover that. My router reaches to the corner of the next street.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I thought he wanted a "router" on each floor not just a wireless signal.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I never have understood how an extender works.

It would appear that two devices transmitting radio signals simultaneously on the same frequency would cause the same mess as two TV or radio stations transmitting on the same channel within close proximity.

I guess my posting dates how long ago my schooling was. (LOL) (LOL)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Each transmits their own SSID no different than two routers. My network has 3 wireless Routers, two are set up as switches wired off the first and an extender. I can sign-on any one of 4 SSIDs and they are all on the same network with access to the internet. I have 7+ devices wired to the 3-routers with 5+devices attached wirelessly. The + being friends, family and clients devices.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

OH !!

The devices have Different SSIDs.

I sea said said the sailor. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Or, "I see", said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Rick, Your not all blind. I had a 2.4ghz router and every time when my grandson would be jumping around near me while on the cell phone @2.4ghz I would lose my internet connection.

@bubbatie1, That usb wireless adapter along with a router will do what you want. You don't need an extender unless you live in a castle and the upstairs is accross the moat

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

Thanks whs did just that purchased a netgear dongle & im now reply'n to here on the old vista !!!!!!!!!!! THANKS MUCH APPRECIATED THE KIDDO'S WILL BE GRINNIN ! (we all know if the wife & kids are happy life is goooooood !) lol

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You are welcome.

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

That usb dongle works great thanks to all advisors but here lies another question. my printer has a usb port on the front of it................ do ya think its possible to turn that wireless also with a dongle?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!