How-To Geek Forums / Disability Tech

(Solved) - home speakers on a power wheelchair

(29 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by jmeeks49
  • Latest reply from jmeeks49
  • Topic Viewed 6323 times

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

before i go in to this mike, rick, and other moderators i apologize before hand but i really didn't know where put this post at. my apologies.

as some of you know or may not know i am disabled i am in a power chair and have cerebral palsy. i love music and play it all of the time. now for the reason for this post. i want to hook up some home speakers to my wheelchair with a seperate battery i could use headphones but as most geeks and geeketts can atast this wouldn't be geeksville if us geeks didn't come up with a way to woo people LOL LOL anyway if there's any replies i will email whoever. thank you.

john meeks

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Hi John,

Almost missed your post.

I'm SURE LH and Me come up with something Good. :) :)

Here is commercial version but probably way over priced.
http://www.rockwhileyouroll.com/build.htm

I have to go to VA appointment next Wednesday.

Let me look around while I'm there to see what folks are currently doing.

Is that Chair 12 Volts, 24 Volts or both ????

E-mail Me from Profile web page or contact LH for my address.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

hey rick,

first of all,

i have two 12 volt batteries it's a rehab chair that tilts and reclines so i will have to have another power source for rhe speakers. i also couldn't find a address on your profile but please email me mine is on my profile..

john

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

OK John !!

No problem. :) ;)

See you tomorrow.

Night All,

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

And what device are you using to play the music ?

Posted 3 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

hi lh i have a ipod touch..

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

John. I don't think you are going to have a problem here :)
There are lots of self-powered speakers out there, for just such usage (also used for all such devices from desktop computers down)
They normally run off a 12 volt mains transformer, so that would not be a problem.
It's just finding the ones you like, that sound good.
That could take some research.

Posted 3 years ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi John,

Can you give us an idea of the type of configuration or "installation" you are looking for? Would you prefer something with it's own batteries (rechargable), or something you can connect to an extra battery that you add to your chair?

There are a lot of docking stations that support the ipod, although suitability to use from a moving platform would be a consideration. I personally use a Bose Soundock Portable for when I want to take my music out of the house. It is rechargable and has very good sound quality. However, since the ipod stands in a fixture without much support it may not suit your needs. You can use it without "docking" the iPod, by plugging the earphone out into the docking station's audio in port, allowing you to mount or place the iPod securely.

With your requirements detailed, we can look around for options to best suit them.

Posted 3 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

hi Enthusiast,

my ideal configuration would be power it from my chair with a extra battery..

john

Posted 3 years ago

PUPPYDOG
PUPPYDOG

I am just wondering if car speakers would be the way to go.
A couple of surface mounted speakers and a mini amp powered by the 12v battery.
But would you be able to connect an mp3 player directly to the amp?

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

PUPPYDOG. For even the lowest wattage car speakers, you would need a fairly hefty amp. That would drain the battery like crazy.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

John. Could you give me a budget to go on.

Edit. And where do you want the speakers to be positioned ?

Posted 3 years ago

PUPPYDOG
PUPPYDOG

LH, not true, i have a mini amp, car radio and speakers in my shed, they run of a small yuasa battery and i can play music all day before recharging the battery. I will check the Ah of the battery next time i go outside.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Exactly. All day. How many hours is that ?
(I bet it's 3AH :)

Posted 3 years ago

PUPPYDOG
PUPPYDOG

All day means all day, it is only an idea, just because you don't like it does not mean it is not suitable.
Does it need to be working all day and all night? i doubt it, so there should not be a problem re charging the battery over night if need be.
Also the volume will probably not need to be as loud as i have it in my shed so the battery may even last a couple of days.
Also if an mp3 player was to work with the amp there will be no need for the car radio that i use so there will be even less battery drain, so that will probably add another day to it as well.
You could at least think about my comments before trying to find fault.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

I am thinking about all possibilities, and am certainly not dismissing yours out of hand :)
Believe me, I have installed music systems, built from scrap, running from very varying power supplies.

Posted 3 years ago

PUPPYDOG
PUPPYDOG

Is it even possible to connect the mp3 player to the amp? would it work?
I am going from the car stereo to the amp, what would happen if an mp3 player was connected to the amp instead? I was going to have a try, but can't find my 3.5mm jack to rca lead.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Very much depends which amp/player you have.
You can takeoff from the preamp, or maybe you can do it via Bluetooth.
Depends what you are working with.

Posted 3 years ago

PUPPYDOG
PUPPYDOG

I have just looked, it is a 2.3Ah yucel battery.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I was thinking in terms of 2 to 5 watt RMS, 60 - 18K freq small self powered desk top box speakers with modification for using Chair battery power.

Internal amp uses AC adapter but could easily be converted to take DC input by by-passing intenal DC rectifier.

The small desk top box speakers will blow you away when turned up loud plus they don't consume much power.

I know that they will fill a room with so much sound that me Spouse won't let me use them. (lol)

The mounting would be simple using common items found at local hardware store.

May have to draw a picture.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!