The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Home Network (?)

(4 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by StokesleyLad
  • Latest reply from StokesleyLad
  • Topic Viewed 382 times

StokesleyLad

Hello, My neighbour has a Laptop running Windows7 - 64 bit and I've just installed a HP 216 Photosmart Plus Printer/Scanner using a usb cable. I've also by using the screen on the printer set it up for Wireless connection and it recognizes the Router and states OK . However while it will print using the usb cable I can't get it to print wirelessly.(There is only one printer shown in Printer Options - I understand it should show 2. 1 for usb and 1 for Wireless) I've tried by using the software to convert the usb to wireless connection without success. Do I need to set-up a Home Network to allow this to function? There are no other computers involved, it's merely to allow the user to use the laptop anywhere within the home and still print without the limitation of the usb cable.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

My experience with HP wireless printers has been a nightmare. I have the 4580 (about to be binned). It is used on 3 computers.
You must set it up vie the usb first. There is a screen easily bypassed that will look for your ssid. Enter the password when found.
Unfortunately, I have found that I needed to uninstall when this failed.
So a new install might be the option. There is an option to connect to the / your wireless network, but it to easy to skip that section.
I also had problems initially with IE8 and I had to uninstall that via HP help.

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

I've got an HP C310A and it is terrific. Nary a problem, used wireless only.

You need to open the DEVICES AND PRINTERS in the CONTROL PANEL. Then ADD PRINTER and use NETWORK... should find it.

HP should have an INSTALL CD with instructions on how to do it too.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

StokesleyLad

Thank you for both replies. I've re-entered the HP Software disc and tried 'Convert USB to Wireless Connection'. I've also tried un-installing completely and re-installing for Wireless all without success. The Printer itself on it's touch-screen has set it up for Wireless and does give the OK; however not able to print other than by USB and only 1 printer shown in Devices & Printers. However I will try the 'Add a printer method' you have kindly suggested the next time I visit my neighbour. I will let you know the outcome.
Thank you.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.