How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L does not read some of my CD's and DVD's

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Harshad
  • Latest reply from Harshad
  • Topic Viewed 1671 times

Harshad
Harshad

I'm unable to read some my CD's and DVD's using my HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L Drive .
It would also help if i get the link to download Drivers for HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L for Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

There seems to be a firmware update that might help the situation, however it only mentions Windows XP. If this is an older drive on an older computer there may not be drivers for Windows 7. If this came originally installed on an HP computer you could check for drivers on their web site.

Posted 1 year ago

Marksheet
Marksheet

Harshad,

Do you live in India ?? Your name sounds Indian...
Some disk drives, will not read certain disks no matter how you use them. I remember my old Toshiba DVD drive (That came in-built my Lenovo Desktop) never read the CDs and DVDs that cost less (Say 10 rupees), it only read those expensive Disks (50-100 rupees per disk !!) whichh came in shiny, sealed bulky containers... So I replaced it with a LG Drive and Voila !! All my disks are readable... Saved me a lot of bucks.. So if you have the same problem, you should probably consult a technician and replace the drive.

But first, try out the method Xhi suggested, it could solve the matter. I didn't knew this... I'm learning new things every day !! :)

Edit : Sorry I forgot to mention one thing, do you have a lens cleaner disc ?? you can insert it into your drive and follow the instructions... Maybe the problem is just because of a dirty lens, hope I'm not overworking this out...

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Also you could check the following;

Try 'dusting' the laser with a brush or dab a cotton bud with pure alcohol, allow to dry

Secondly, check your dvd/cd software packages; Roxio (a pain) et al. Could be that a particular program is perhaps taking control. Uninstall burning software you are not currently using.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Mike1030

Have a similar drive & was facing same issues had to switch over using quality media like Verbatim, Maxell..........now have no issues. Will not read or write substandard media.

Posted 1 year ago

Harshad
Harshad

Thanks everybody for replying . :)

@Xhi : yes, thats the problem i'm facing, the update is available only for Win XP. :(

@Marksheet : Yes, I do live in India :) I have a Phillips CD Lens Cleaner, but it did not seem to make any improvements,,,and you are not wroking me out, :)

@Vistamike : OK, I'll try cleaning the lens ,

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!