The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - hide host file

(16 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by cj
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 901 times

cj

I used the host file to block unwanted sites from youthful eyes on our computer..it worked up until they found it. Is there a way to hide this file? Also, can the websites entered be erased by backing up the computer?

Posted 2 years ago

SanojTharanga

i think you can hidden it............

Posted 2 years ago

Scott

Welcome to HTG cj,

you may find this helpful:
http://www.opendns.com/parental-controls

and Sanoj, your answer was not very helpful but welcome to you too.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Read this...it might not be them that is removing your entries:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/.....osts-file/

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

Very hard to hide anything on a computer if one has either Administrator access, can turn on the hidden Administrator, or boot the computer with a CD/DVD and then 'explore' the computer. P/W protection for files are OK, but program access can be a problem, especially with the file you are talking about.

Off hand, about all you can do possibly is create a file that runs at boot and copies a hidden HOSTS file in another place to the proper location which in effect resets the file on every boot. If your kids know how to circumvent to HOSTS file though it would probably not take a long time for them to disable that.

Are you using individual USERID's for the kids with LIMITED RIGHTS? That should stop what is happening.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Straspey

Sometimes using a third-party software can be helpful in this case.

I use a freeware program called "Winmend".

It's a very simple program which will hide any folder or file of your choosing. It has a double layer of protection, in that you can set a password which will be required in order to even run the program - making it impossible for "youthful eyes" to open the program and unblock any folders you may choose to hide.

I've used it for a number of years with great success. It's very simple, basic and easy to use. Just be careful to write down the password you choose and keep it in a safe place, in case you forget it.

You can download the program directly from the developer's website:

http://www.winmend.com/folder-hidden/

Hope this helps.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

Straspey, a lot of those types of programs though also restrict program access, they even state this on their web page, "The data is completely invisible to other programs or on other operating systems." so it probably wouldn't work here.

The 'real' way here is to restrict the access via permissions. Using 'normal' userID's, vs. Administrator UserID's would not allow the 'normal' user to see these folders where it is stored. However, easily circumvented if one has a bootable OS to change the file.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Straspey

Irv -

Thanks for the clarification. I had erroneously assumed that all the program did was "hide" a folder from view.

I didn't realize it actually hid the data internally to the entire system.

I hope the OP finds the proper solution to their issue.

Thanks again.

- Howard

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Might I suggest the old fashioned way, Observation and Discipline. The old addage "Children should be seen and not heard" applies.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Don't use blocking in a host file as it slows the computer down too much.

You can put the "Bad" Domains in the Registry as spyware blaster does and the computer will ignore the websites plus still be fast as lightning.

I'll post the trick if you are familiar with adding entries to the machine Registry.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Can you show us Rick?

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Yes, let me write it up and take some screen shots so is easy to do for all. :)

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

Hah, if the kids found the HOSTS file and edited it, what makes you think any other way would be nothing more than a challenge to defeat it?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Kids are kids. I don't think there are to many easy to edit registry entry changes. The HOST file is an easy one to fix or swap out as needed. The registry is another matter.
If the kids start getting into the registry to make their access changes then you need to gently unplug the computer and throw it out the window.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Parenting and / or being a Teacher are two of the TOUGHEST Jobs in today's world by far !!

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

@Rick, Guess most have been or are there now but like you say "In today's world" it is more than Tough.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.