The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

HELP WITH UBUNTU INSTALLATION

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by antonio112
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 564 times

antonio112

I'm been trying to install Ubuntu in this partition I made in Windows 8 but I don't know how to start. I don't want to mess up my computer because it is about $1000
so I'm asking you guys for help and please be descriptive and helpful. BTW, I'm using the Release Preview of Windows 8.

--Antonio H.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

The best way to install it is in VMware Player. That is how I run my Zorin (which is another Ubuntu flavor that I highly recommend). If you install Ubuntu in double boot, you are liable to get an awful mess with the bootmgr because the Linux Grub is going to take over. Here are some tutorials I made that should help you get started. Note: They are for Zorin but should be the same for Vanilla Ubuntu.

How to install in VMware Player

A Demo of Zorin which I highly recommend you watch

If you have any question, let me know.

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere

Unless I'm mistaken, all versions of Win8 Release Preview expired over a month ago.
Per the EULA, "You have no right to use the software after the expiration date".
So I would think you may as well allow Ubuntu to use the entire HDD as opposed to setting it up on a previously prepared partition.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

doctordeere, that is OK if he has no other Windows running and if he can dedicate a seperate HDD to it (has to disconnect the windows HDD during the installation). Else he will get "blessed" with the Grub bootloader.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....743673a7ca I guess it's okay if he doesn't care if it pesters him every hour.

http://www.neowin.net/news/win.....e-extended

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.