How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Help With Screen Brightness

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Ara
  • Latest reply from Ara
  • Topic Viewed 704 times

Ara

Hello,

My Lenovo Z480, running Windows 7 Home Premium, isn't changing the brightness when I connect to charger or when running battery...
Any suggestions?

Thank You,
Ara

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Have a look at the power settings menu.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

There should be a brightness function on your keyboard. Hold the blue Fn key and hit the button with the blue sun symbol with the arrow pointing up.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

What is it set to in your Power Settings ?

Posted 1 year ago

Ara

Woow, thank you all for your fast answers...

My battery settings is "Balanced", and from the power options the brightness is set for battery (for ex: about 30%) and for plugged in (100%).
But the problem is: My laptop isn't distinguishing between plugged in and battery (what i mean is: brightness stays the same 50%), but I can increase/decrease using the "FN" option...
I was thinking my laptop lacked a driver? If yes, what should i search for?

Thanks again,
Ara

Posted 1 year ago

Ara

Any suggestions?????

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Do you have "Lenovo Energy Management" pre-installed in your computer? if you do, try to change those settings, or directly try to uninstall it.

If you don't (or if you can't solve the problem) try to install the latest version from here (filter "Power Management" and "Windows 7"):
http://support.lenovo.com/en_U.....D=HT073552

If nothing works tell me and I'll think of another solution.

Posted 1 year ago

Ara

Hello Ruja,

What did you mean by: "try to change those settings" about Lenovo Energy Management?
I love Lenovo's Energy Management and it's up-to-date, so it's impossible to uninstall it :)

The problem isn't from the Energy Management, it is from the more power options! If i change brightness (for ex: for Balanced, and from Energy Management, it is placed Balanced, it won't change (the brightness slider down doesn't affect the brightness too!) So I'm guessing its a Windows 7 problem?
While when I press "FN" and button up (brightness up) button down (brightness down) the laptop changes the brightness and shows Lenovo's box as it fills and empties when increasing or decreasing the brightness....

I also formatted my laptop after installing Windows 8 a month ago (cause I didn't like it; and Lenovo lacked many drivers), and reinstalled my Lenovo's original Windows by the recovery disks I created via OneKeyRecovery when I got my laptop. The brightness was working before the format!!

Thank You,
Ara

Posted 1 year ago

marks100

try the windows key next to FN then the X key will bring on screen display try that
mark.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

@Ara I suspect Lenovo Energy Management might be interfering with Windows 7 power settings, and prevents Windows from changing the brightness when you move the brightness slider in the Power Settings, or when you plug/unplug your computer to AC. That's why pressing "Brightness Up" and "Brightness Down" keys shows the Lenovo's box, instead of just changing the brightness with no boxes showing, as a clean Windows 7 installation would do. I would recommend to uninstall it and check if it works this way. You can always install it again if you like, maybe by uninstalling/installing the problem is solved.

I don't know how Lenovo Energy Management works, so I don't know which settings are available, but I'm usually against all this manufacturer pre-installed software.

Posted 1 year ago

Ara

Thank You marks100 and Ruja.

@marks100, i tried windows + X and it opened the Windows Mobility Center...
From it i tried to reduce/increase brightness but didn't affect!
And thank you for introducing me to this box! It's a great feature I didn't know!

@Ruja, now i'll try uninstalling the Energy Management...

Thank You Again,
Ara

Posted 1 year ago

Ara

@Ruja, uninstalling didn't help...
So I reinstalled it, also no difference...
Anyways thank you :)

Edit by mod, please stop self promoting

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.