The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Help with Monitor.. strange issue

(11 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by jfacowns
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 379 times

jfacowns

Whenever i turn my monitor off (VGA, Optiquest Q19wb) for an extended period of time, and turn it back on, it comes on for about a second and then turn off, still getting power and everything, just the screen goes black..

I recently upgraded to 16gb of ram and bought 2 new 4GB sticks (ADATA) and the problem has been happening since.

The video card is not old, maybe a year or so but the monitor is probably close to 5 give or take a year.

I am wondering if because i have too much going on in my PC now, that the additional RAM i put in is not letting enough power get to my monitor to produce a picture on the screen.

I have a 650 watt PSU..

16GB DDR3 ram
4 Internal HDDs (2 desktop, 2 laptop) and one external laptop drive plugged in at almost all times.
2 video cards, 2 monitors (the older of the two is the problematic one)
AMD Phenom II X2 running at 3.2 GHz, not overclocked at all.

Do you think its a PSU relates issue, faulty RAM (no errors showed up using memtest86 for over an hour) or just coincidence and either the video card or monitor is starting to go..?

i know i could individually test all parts involved but i am just wondering if i can save time and maybe someone else has run into this problem before..?

Any help or insight at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Could be the PSU. With 2 GPUs you need a lot of power. What is the wattage of your PSU ??

Posted 2 years ago

jfacowns

650 watts PSU. About a year old. let me know if you need any other information.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Do you have the latest drivers from ViewSonic ?

Posted 2 years ago

jfacowns

yes i have the latest drivers for both the monitor and video card..

To clarify, when the monitor has been off say overnight, i go to turn it on and it stays on for about a second and then goes black, still getting power though. I have to turn it on and off on and off about 7-10 times before it stays on, but it does eventually stay on.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

A sure your computer has not gone into hibernate overnight and it is restoring itself and the on/off sequence is meaningless. What if you just wait?

Posted 2 years ago

jfacowns

Yes i am sure it has nothing to do with hibernate, i dont use it for one.. I run a ton of VMs (hence the 16gb of RAM) and often times when i used to use hibernate my VMs would get really messed up and try to do a system restore.

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

jfacowns, try taking out the new ram you put in and see if still happens.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Try the monitor on another computer.

Posted 2 years ago

jfacowns

I will try to find another computer to hook this monitor up to,

New development: This morning when i turned the monitor on, i was standing up and looking at the monitor from an angle and saw that there was indeed a picture on the screen, its just very faded and looking at it dead on, the monitor looks completely black like it's off. So there s a picture but it still takes 7-10 times of turning it on and off to get it to show up the way it should.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Seems like the monitor is going bad.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.