The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Help with memory

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by air211
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 832 times

air211

hey people i just want to no if and how i can assign more dedicated memory to my intergrated graphics card. i have a dell studio which uses a 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 and i have 4gb of ram so i av enough to share many thanks in advance

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

greetings, you will have to go into your BIOS and search for the proper setting. unfortunately i do not know the layout of DELL BIOS's very well, but if the setting can be changed, it would be in there.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I don't think the 3450 can share memory. It' wysiwyg.

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

it is also true, that if it has dedicated memory already, you cannot assign more dedicated memory, you can assign more shared memory by changing your AGP apature size (spelling :P ) or something similar.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

wallaceb,

CORRECT !!

Does anyone ever get a book or manual or some type of literature with a Computer they purchase from Best Buy ??

Appears folks are purchasing "stuff" and don't know what they are buying.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

At the BestBuy prices you cannot expect a book. But some of the Info in the system or on-line is pretty good.

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

the systems that best buy sells do not generally have manuals especially for the BIOS. The manufactures do not want you to mess with the BIOS too much because you could accidentally mess something up, which they would have to fix.

Now, that is not best buy's fault however, it is up to the manufacture to supply the manuals.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

wallaceb,

NO; it is NOT Best Buy's Fault at all.

Just asking a question :)

Appears to be the Manufacturers Business Model to generate revenue with paid support and "dumbing down" the consumer.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

yes, ain't that the truth, however quite a few are starting to give fairly detailed manuals online for free.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

whs + wallaceb,

AGREE with ALL your thread postings on the Topic.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!