SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Help what is a "HEAD CRASH" with sector disc failure caused by software

(18 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by cnj2000
  • Latest reply from cnj2000
  • Topic Viewed 814 times

cnj2000

I installed Verizon Internet Security Suite - computer would not work - had it looked and and they tell me it is a "HEAD CRASH" with sector disc failure caused by software auto-parking before computer shut down" and are asking me if I want to try to fix it. Too tech for me I have no idea what this means can you help in real word that a computer dummy can understand,

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz

cnj2000, hi.

I suspect Malware much more then a hard drive failure.

But you do need to elaborate more on the situation for better assistance. Lots of questions come into mind, such as;

What is the make/model of your PC?

What operating system are you running?

Are you even able to boot into the OS?

Where are you getting that message?

And who is "and are asking me if I want to try to fix it." ?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

cnj2000, Verizon Internet Security Suite, is based on; What?
An av does not report "HEAD CRASH"

However, you could be having a HDD fail, that is very different. Save all your data as of now to an external drive or flash drive.

Are you still in windows? To be able to do this?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

I would get a second opinion. I don't think "they" know what they are talking about.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

http://www22.verizon.com/home/.....ity-backup If this is it I would pass and use a free Anti Virus.

Posted 2 years ago

cnj2000

Thank you all for helping me - I am dealing with two computers that now do not work after trying to install Verizon Internet Security Suite.
Laptop is HP 550 with windows XP Pro - Other is desktop Compaq Presario with Vista Business, both had microsoft business package pro - acrobat x suites, both had bitdefender for virus, etc.

So here is the deal tried to install Verizon Internet Suite on both computers download stopped so I called Verizon - they remoted into both computers and before I knew it were deleting all kinds of stuff off the computer. I took control of screen and told them to stop deleting files, there were some .exe and app files but have no idea exactly what was deleted before I stopped them The installed and uninstalled this software several times and could not get it to load so sent me to expert care who also loaded and unloaded this stuff. After the expert care did this a few times the programs would no longer work and dVd/CD Rom driver errors started to occur. Expert care then sent me to McAfee who also uninstalled and reinstalled several times. After 2 days of this the computers no longer connected to the internet, no programs would open. Laptop would boot up but then went to dos looking screen and rolling scroll of programs never stops just keeps going and going. The Desktop starts but nothing boots just makes a growling sound. The monitor flashes on the goes to black screen. Called back and engineer at McAfee told me I would just have to get new computers. Told me starting and stopping instal caused HEAD CRASH" with sector disc failure caused by software auto-parking before computer shut down. Called around and everyone acts like I am from another planet when I tell them what McAfee told me - so just need to figure out what to do now. I tried to do install disc of OS still nothing works- cant get either CD to start up or do anything.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz

cnj2000, First of all, I haven't heard of Verizon ever provding remote support service.

And it sounds like you need to format those two PC's and re-install the OS's. Have you set the BIOS on both PC's to boot from CD?

If not, then when booting up you must press a key (indicated in the first splash screen) which vary from manufacturer. Usually, Esc, F2, F10.

Keep us updated and good luck. Oh, and you must not trust anyone to remote control you PC. = )

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

Maybe I'm over cautious but I'd be inclined to check my Bank Accounts and start changing passwords. Sounds very strange that a company like that would want to remote in someones PC. Very suspect indeed!!!!
And from what you described it doesn't sound like they knew what they where doing.

Posted 2 years ago

cnj2000

Yes Verizon provides support - It their premium technical support services accessed through Verizon In Home Agent - you call start a chat session while they remote in. I was on the phone with verizon a lot of the time they were in my computer so I am 100% sure it was actually someone from Verizon doing stuff to my computer.

Posted 2 years ago

cnj2000

here is their agreement when you sign upL You hereby grant Verizon permission to view, access and modify your computer, computer (including registry) settings and any related software or peripheral equipment, including all data, hardware and software components, in order to perform PTS.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz

cnj2000, I wouldn't even allow someone from Microsoft to do so, yet alone someone from a cell phone company..

Nevertheless, have you tried any of the suggestions above to get your PC's working again?

Posted 2 years ago

dcstechy

cnj2000 worst case is it's a virus or maleware as people have told you. FORMAT and REINSTALL

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

Hi cnj2000

There's plenty of free AV and Firewalls out there, my personal choice is Comodo Internet Security and Superantispyware both free and excellent in my opinion. Never had any issues with viruses or other nasties. You don't need to pay for these!!!!

As everyone else has said, format and clean install and DON'T let anybody and I mean anybody remote into your PC, as I said from what you described this company hadn't a clue what they where doing.

http://www.comodo.com/home/int.....wnload.php

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Ged

Posted 2 years ago

cnj2000

@ compwiz and @ gedstar - believe me I have now learned my lesson - never will I ever let anyone remote into a computer again. I know how stupid was I. Yes I have tried the above suggestions. I cannot get a screen on the desktop to try to set the bios - I was able to get the laptop reset to to boot on CD and tried to restore but when I highlight restore just goes to the dos looking screen like its scrolling through programs - does not appear that CD drive is working at all either cant hear it running and nothing happens with cd in drive.

Posted 2 years ago

Necto

With a desktop, immidiatly after booting your computer, press the DEL button multiple times until you see the bios screen.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

@Necto, This will work on all desktop computers? Really?

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

cnj2000, Your computers were working before installing the Verizon software. I think the Verizon chat tech is the one that had the HEAD CRASH. There are times when online tech service is necessary. Hopefully once you get your problems corrected you will have an image of your system to fall back on when something like this happens.
From what you described happened I agree with the recommendation of reinstalling windows.
Do you have the XP installation disk?
Here is the manual for your HP 550. starting around pg 80 and up tells you what hot keys you need to press at powerup.
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Hew.....nual/99925
Here is the manual for your Compaq. look on pg. 88 for the hot key (F10)
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpb13287.pdf

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

cnj2000

Thanks that is what I have been looking for

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.