How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

help usb flashdrive how to pass protect

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 1074 times

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

um since i keep some important things on my flashdrive is it possible to password protect my flash drive without using any programs or do i need some type of software to do this.

-Jack7h3R1pp3r

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Check out www.truecrypt.org. It's an open source encryption program that will allow you to make your usb flashdrive into an encrypted volume. Best of all, the program is free and gets regular updates.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

is there any way to not use programs though?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What os are you using? (and version)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

windows xp pro

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

sp2

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No. you'll have to use a 3rd party program

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ok thx for the help guys. o well i guess. just thought i might ask if you guys knew of anything so thx.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

And to be honest, if you want to protect a usb flashdrive you will want the data encrypted and not just have access to the drive password protected. Any hacker worth 1/2 their salt would be able to get around a password block and be able to see the contents of the drive (ie, they would not crack the password, they would just go around it). By encrypting the data, the information on the drive would not be readable without first entering the correct password. I think Jack7h3r1pp3rk1cks4$$ would be a good one for you ;-)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

21 (letters ,numbers, symbols) Not Hex.
That a lot of combinations

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

There are some flash drives that have builtin hardware-based encryption but they seem to be more expensive and harder to use from what I can tell from the prices and reviews for the drives at http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....encryption
I'm not sure though as I haven't used encryption due to not having anything that needs it.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i guess that is true so i guess that i will try that true crypt thing out thx to all who has put in input

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

have any of you guys heard of the program folder lock 5.8.2 and my main question is it any good and i couldn't really figure out how to get that true crypt to work and kinda off subject but can i get a side bar for xp or is that only for vista

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

What was it about TrueCrypt you couldn't get to work?
On the sitebar question, yes there are alternative sidebars that work on Windows XP and Vista. Desktop Sidebar, Google Sidebar and Yahoo Widgets.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

it just seemed really complex and like how you have to make the encrypted part like the folder thing

this might be since i really didn't have much time to spend on it then but ya. and thx on the sidebar thing i will look into that

edit: i got it to work but just couldn't really figure out how to use what i had done

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!