The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

HELP, start windows/retrieve data

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by bennet
  • Latest reply from bennet
  • Topic Viewed 3663 times

bennet

I have a laptop problem. My windows fails to start.

It started when I chose to Restart the laptop.
When it attempts to start windows, on the blank screen there white words saying the 'windows failed to successfully start...may caused by changes in the hardware/software...unexpected restart...reset button/power button"

Followed by options, ‘safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompts, most recent settings and start windows normally’
<br>

<br>
I attempted all options. The only thing then happened is there was a small blue screen (with white words)for a split second as if there is a corruption. And immediately restarts the laptop.
<br>

<br>
Please can you help me fix this problem, or at least how can I retrieve my files from the laptop.
i'd like to retreive all my file out of the laptop.
PLEASE HELP

Posted 5 years ago

jonhill987
jonhill987

This should be of some help as far as the backup goes.
You will need another computer with a CD Burner and internet access though, as well as some sort of removable disk to put your recovered data on.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

Posted 5 years ago

bennet

i selected that "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer",
after that step,
it's asking me for a username and password, what should i do?

Posted 5 years ago

jonhill987
jonhill987

Good Question, I didn't expect it to ask for a username and password. Perhaps someone else knows.

What have you tried guessing? I would try "user" and leave the password blank.

EDIT: A quick search suggests that the Username is "Ubuntu", leave the password blank still.

Posted 5 years ago

bennet

(i'v tried "user", says in red "incorrect username etc")
(iv tried my windows login username & password)

i'v tried "ubuntu" but the same thing happens when i had blank username, it goes to a plain coffee colour screen, then a minute later go to a blank screen with only a mouse pointer, nothing else happens.

Posted 5 years ago

jonhill987
jonhill987

OK, the coffee colour screen sounds like that is the right username and password, of course it should start to show the GNOME desktop after that. Unfortunately I know little of Linux so I don't know what could have gone wrong there. There are many other Linux users on this forum though so I am sure someone will be able to help you soon enough.

Posting the full spec of the laptop, particularly the graphics card, or at least the make and model of the laptop will help people help you.

EDIT: This may help you:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyKnownIssues/59618

Posted 5 years ago

bennet

hmm, the above attempts (yesterday) were the latest version 8.10.

today i tried the previous version "ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso"
it didnt ask for username,
but after the "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer", it went to the same coffee screen, then there was a small (1/4 screen size) grey square and a background picture of a colourful bird.
the screen seems to frozen because i cant move the mouse, and the CD drive keeps running
i did wait but this continued (still screen + cd running)

any suggestions? or alternative to take files out of the hard drive?

(may be a silly question, should i install ubuntu?)

Posted 5 years ago

bennet

can i possibly get the exact version 8.04(instructions) instead of 8.04.1(available downlaod)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.