The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Help please! ASAP!!

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sesnape123
  • Latest reply from scorpion99
  • Topic Viewed 326 times

sesnape123

My friend wanted to change over the motherboard in his PC because it had an integrated graphics chip. We got the switchover done fine but the problem is that the BIOS is not detecting the Hard drives which were in the previous PC. When i enter the BIOS set-up all it says under 'Boot Sequence' is Hard disk drive (not installed) Please can you help me? i'm stuck and have no idea what to do :(

(For reference the new motherboard belonged to a Dell desktop, also i'm studying IT so don't worry about jargon)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I am probably not going to be of much help. The motherboard may not be compatable with its new system. Post all the information you can. What computer model it came from. What you are putting it in. And, if you can find it motherboard model number. I may not be able to help but, the info may help others to.

Edit: post all the info you can, even if you think it might not be important.

Posted 1 year ago

sesnape123

okay, the model is a Dell dimension 3000 series, it's essentially all the same stuff that was originally in there the only thing that's new is the HDD's. can't find the model number of the motherboard. The HDD's are both 'Maxtor diamond plus 9' and yes, they are both spinning. also : they are both IDE HDD's not SATA's.

My mind turns to drivers but i'm not sure.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Make sure that Hard Disks connected are one as Master and the other as slave.

Posted 1 year ago

sesnape123

i tried with only one HDD and it still doesn't work so setting one as master and slave probably won't help i'm afraid, the BIOS recognises the HDD but refuses to load it because it is 'Not installed'

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

If the BIOS recognize it , what was the type of the partition??? NTFS , FAT32 , Ext2 , Ext3 ....?

Posted 1 year ago

sesnape123

the BIOS memory holds no details about hardware, it only shows that the hard disk drive is not installed. that's it :(

EDIT: the BIOS doesn't seem to be recognising either of the HDD what so ever, when i enter boot config it only shows the optical drive under IDE devices

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Did you try to connect your Hard Disk instead of the optical drive???

Posted 1 year ago

sesnape123

the only items connected are my HDD's and motherboard

Posted 1 year ago

sesnape123

this is the message that appears on boot :

Diskette drive 0 seek failure

No boot device available-
Strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

ok , now go to setup and try to turn off the option related to Drive Diskette A (change it to NONE), save your BIOS and restart.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!