The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Help Please

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by CAC
  • Latest reply from mysticgeek
  • Topic Viewed 1582 times

CAC

I have HP laptop with windows vista preinstalled and i tried to install windows XP and it works very good. unfortunely, i cant connect to the internet on Windows XP partition for some reasons. Please someone help me? there's no connection at all when i click on internet explorer. Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Do you have any network connection at all? I'm guessing you need to install the networking drivers for your card in XP. You should be able to download them using vista, and then install them under XP.

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

To check that go into Device Manager Right click My Computer >> Properties >> hardware >> Device Manager.

If you see a yellow question mark next to network adapters and exclamation point... which indicates no driver for that device... like The Geek advises just download them for XP partition.

Posted 6 years ago

CAC

No Connection At All . so i will have to download drives seperately? and how to download them ? thanks . And What about If I'd like to get rid of windows Vista and install fresh Windows XP . do you think it's going to work ? And When I enable SATA in BIOS and it giving me error . so i have to disable it in order windows XP can boot /

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

The Vista driver will be different than the XP driver.

Download the latest driver from the manufacturers site or from HP I would try the HP site... I have had good luck even finding legacy drivers.

You can repartition your hard drive and install XP only. I would imagine you will still need to download device drivers for XP.

Is there a reason you need to dual boot? Why not just stay with Vista since it came pre installed it's the most logical choice for all the hardware to work, HP verifies all devices work with the OS it comes with.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!