How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Help!! PC Settings screen!

(26 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by milti
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 10360 times

milti
milti

Okay, so I'm new to Win 8; it came pre-installed on my new laptop, so I don't know its product key. It is activated.

The problem is that the "Change PC Settings" in the Charms bar won't open. It shows the blue screen with the gear icon for a second and goes right back to the Start screen again.

While customizing the display for myself after I got the computer, these are the things I changed:
-Installed some programs like iTunes, GOM Player, Adobe Reader, Open Office
-Changed PC's name from my dad's name to mine
-Customized Desktop Icons (customized them using .ico files I'd used before in Win 7)
-Desktop wallpaper and other stuff. I didn't change screen resolution. It remains at 1366x768

One Local Account is present, and one Guest account (which I've disabled). The local account is mine and I have Admin privileges. I can't change anything in it; picture, name, not even create another user account through it. Nope.

So I did extensive research on this before I came here, and I looked into the recover, reinstall, refresh options. I haven't tried them yet, because I'm not sure if Refresh will really solve anything.

I have run the sfc/scannow command again and again and it has fond no errors.

I have checked my registry for the possibly-missing key, but the relevant key is there.

I have looked into the hidden folder <C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs> and found the "pc settings.lnk" in it; and also the "PC Settings.exe" in The <Immersive> folder in Windows where it's supposed to be. On some other sites, it was suggested that a missing shortcut of PC Settings might have been at the core of the error, but no.

I haven't done a system restore because I have no recent restore points. :S
I haven't done a refresh because I don't know how much of the pre-installed software will remain: it has Cyberlink YouCam and other stuff with it.
I haven't done a reinstall for obvious reasons.

So my point is: I'm sure it has something to do with the PC Settings exe and lnk. Where is the lnk supposed to go? Would changing PC Name affect the settings?

Maybe I should do a refresh and re-install the programs that get erased. But I still am not sure if that will work because what if I have to activate my Windows 8 again, and I don't have a product key?

I could use the recovery partition; my laptop came with one. But I'm going to try not to. I want to know if I'm missing something here??

SPECS
Windows 8 Single Language
HP Pavilion g6
Processor AMD A4 4300-M APU with Radeon HD gfx
RAM 4 GB
2.50 Ghz
64 bit
500 GB HDD

Posted 1 year ago

mfletch
mfletch

Hi and welcome to How-To-Geek

Are you moving your mouse pointer away from the Charms bar if yes this is why the start screen shows

Posted 1 year ago

milti
milti

Haha, no. I click and leave the cursor right there waiting for something to happen.

The blue screen with the gear icon can be seen in the upper left corner when I move my mouse there, too, but the instant I click on it I just goees back to the start screen. It doesn't open any page.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Press WIN Key+I and then it is on the bottom right.

Posted 1 year ago

milti
milti

^ I know that. But when I click on it, it shows the blue screen for a second and goes right back to the start screen.

I'll add a Youtube link so people understand.

This is what I'm trying to describe

Posted 1 year ago

spiderlucci

The easiest way to go to Control Panel and choose Recovery and follow the prompts. You can also download the iso file for Win 8 CP from the official MS download site and burn the iso file to DVD to create a bootable DVD to allow Repair installs. http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....nload-shop

Posted 1 year ago

spiderlucci

you can also try this before you do what I mention:

win Key + R
Msconfig-service ----check in the box "hide all microsoft servies" and disable ----go to the start up tab and disable all programs that load up at start up too.

restart the pc

There maybe a software conflict.

get back and let us know

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Reference OP Product Key:

How does HP get away without giving customers the PID for the MS Software which is running on the machines they sell ????

I thought every OEM machine which runs MS Software MUST have a PID given to the customer by the OEM vendor according to MS Licensing Regulations.

Has something changed ??

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

http://superuser.com/questions.....uct-id-pid

I am in linux now (oops did I utter that word here?). I will check to see if the method in that link works next time I boot to Windows 8.

Doing some more searching and came up with this: One of the improvements Microsoft is making to Activation 3.0 for newly built machines that come preloaded with Windows 8, you won’t have a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker attached to the machine anymore. Instead, this will be embedded in the BIOS. This will avoid product keys from being compromised and OEMs will buy what they need.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@presence1960, any help here?
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@presence1960,

That Product ID is NOT the Windows 8 key one has to put in and Activate the MS Software.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I know PID and product key are different. I am trying to find the article I read in my archives. I remember reading somewhere that on OEM machines the product key will no longer be placed on the machine via a COA, but rather in some type of documentation that comes with the machine. I may be wrong, but I remember reading something to that effect.

My personal feelings are that Microsoft has way exceeded their boundaries here, and are making it way too difficult for OEMs and personal users to control their machines. The only real reprisal people have is to boycott MS, nothing will get their attention more than their wallet. However most users are lazy and will just put up with the BS. These types of things are why I put forth the time and effort to learn linux years ago. Which reminds me, I have to log into the other forum. I answered some threads today. be back later. :)))

Posted 1 year ago

spiderlucci

http://www.joshcellsoftwares.c.....nager.html

THIS MAY HELP REACTIVATE WINDOWS WITHOUT CONTACTING MS

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Found it. The product key is embedded in BIOS and when installing it grabs the product key from BIOS

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/.....duct-keys/

Posted 1 year ago

seanboy50

I've having the exact same issue as the original poster. When I click on 'Change PC Settings', nothing happens. I've tried all the fixes mentioned too but to no avail. I've even reinstalled from scratch and the problem persists. Absolutely no idea what to do next!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Since the product keys are embed in the Bios and the machines are under warranty, suggest you contact HP as soon as possible. It appears Windows 8 OEM machines are going to be problem no matter how many tutorials are written.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

OP can probably install and run one of the above mentioned software to get the product key and record it for safe keeping. Then proceed with either a refresh, restore or new installation.

Posted 1 year ago

milti
milti

Thanks @presence1960 - I shall try that.

How different is Recovery from Refresh? (Yes I read the tutorials here but they seem to be similar since Windows goes into the RE mode in Refresh as well... and I'm a bit dense when it comes to technical jargon, sorry :S )

@seanboy50 says he has done a reinstall and he still has that same issue. So...

If it makes any difference, my Win 8 was not activated with an internet connection. I don't have a MS login and password. But in my System Info, it says Win 8 IS activated (and genuine, lol).

I'm probably going to take my lappy back to the HP Store and get them to redo the installation. At least then if they miss something up, I still am within the warranty period. :3
I'll get back to you guys soon.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

This may be too simple a work-around. Have you attempted to get to the Control Panel from the desktop side of Win8? Navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\control.exe" I am fairly certain all of the settings can be accessed from the control panel applet.

Posted 1 year ago

seanboy50

Sorry I should have explained more. I'm not even using an HP laptop, i'm using a Dell 780 pc! My install is completely clean, the drive is completely good, I have an official license key etc. I have tried it with a license on a clean install and without a license on a clean install and 'change pc settings' will still not work. I've scoured the web and tried everything I could find but still nothing. Getting to the control panel is not the issue - the 'change pc settings' button is something different in windows 8. It really is a pain in the ass :) I'll continue looking around and if I find anything I'll post back.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.