The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

help on windows 7 MBR

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by sj721
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 897 times

sj721

I have two HDDs. In short, I have the boot manager on the wrong disk and I wish to move it / recreate it on the other disk.

Here is how it happened:
I have two HDDs installed, say M for Main and S for secondary. I copied the files to S and booted from S. Then I went repair > format > setup.exe to install win 7 onto M. I ended up having a boot manager on S but not M.

When I boot from M, it reports "missing BOOTMBR, hit ctrl+alt+delete to restart" or something similar
When I boot from S, I see two options: 1. windows 7 2. windows setup

I tried running windows setup and doing bootrec /fixmbr, then /fixboot. I didn't do the job. I tried creating a new bcd using bcdedit /createstore. But then afterwards I don't know how to install the boot manager. I tried bootsect.exe /nt60 c: while repairing. I complained about the target partition not of the type it requires.

Please help
thanks in advance

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

sj721, hello. This is a tricky procedure, but possible. Before we start making changes, I would like to see the details of the partitions on your drives. A screenshot of the Disk Management window would be best. I think that we will probably see that the active partition on "S" is marked as System, since it contains the boot manager. The Windows 7 partition on "M" maybe is not active? There's something about it that bootsect doesn't like.

Also, you say that you have two options when booting from S -- are those shown on the boot manager screen? Please also post the output of bcdedit from a Command Prompt. I would like to know what this "windows setup" boot entry is about and check for any other trouble that might show up in the bcdedit output.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!