(10 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tech27
  • Latest reply from tech27
  • Topic Viewed 602 times

tech27

How to identify this driver?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

There is really no good way to determine what the device is unless you know that a particular device you have installed is not working. Just go through all the devices that are there and working to find one that is not. Then of course download a driver for it and install. But, you kinda have to know what you are missing.

Note the rather confusing article How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in Windows XP

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

9 times out of 10, I have found it to be a card reader.

Posted 2 years ago

tech27

Hmmm... ok but its a desktop PC. Video and audio are all working. Thanks for your replies.. I'll work it out to identify if this missing driver will cause problems on this system.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Go into the Properties > Details, of it, and see if you can glean anything from there.

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

And while you are at it, take note of Hardware Ids and give us the value.

Posted 2 years ago

Vofsanity

It is easier to identify the device if you click on View and display Devices by Connection.

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

tech27, sometimes a .net framework update will cause this issue.
Back when I was still running XP I had this same problem several times and it was always caused by the .net framework update in Windows Updates.
I always had to restore the system by running a system restore point BUT if that didn't work I would restore using a Backup Image then block/hide the offending .net framework update.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

SM Bus Driver is may be missing.
You need to go to either the website of the motherboard manufacturer or the website of the PC manufacturer and download and install the Latest chipset drivers.

Posted 2 years ago

tech27

@Hermitt

That could be a reason but this one I had reformatted is somewhat different because I did a manual installation of .NET Framework 4 , I downloaded from microsoft and installed on this machine. Though I don't have this machine now because its my friends PC which I reformatted and she said she didn't experienced any problem regarding this missing drivers issue.

@raphoenix
I've downloaded all the necessary drivers from ASUS site. the SM BUS was also installed because it was included in the NVIDIA drivers package that site provided, I think it could be something but nevertheless my friend says she didn't encounter any errors or something like that after I return it to her.

Thanks for your help.

Mc

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.