SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Help!!! my sound is stuffed up (Windows xp sound max)

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by squirrel1000
  • Latest reply from squirrel1000
  • Topic Viewed 952 times

squirrel1000

HI please help me recently my computers sound randomly stopped working and the soundmax control panel was corrupt so after surfing around i saw that it might work if i uninstalled soundmax but unfortunately for me (Being a computer noob) i went to the analog folder in program files and deleted the soundmax files... i then realized it was the driver that had to be uninstalled so after uninstalling the driver i restarted my pc and it said new hardware found, so i clicked it and it took me to the window for re-installing the soundmax driver it was going smoothly but then it wanted to know where smwdm.sys was so after searching around i found where it was and continued the download and it then wanted to know where a3d.dll was i eventually found it too and put it in, in a little while the download finished and i restarted my computer but it still wouldn't work i tried disabling the soundmax driver and re-enabling it still didn't work so i then tried a windows xp troubleshooter and it said to try going into volume control so i clicked start > accessories> entertainment and got to where it said volume control but when i clicked it , it said :There are no active mixers available . To install mixer devices goto control panel and click add hardware. so i did what it said but it had nothing there that would get it to work please help me.

Extra information: my speakers are not muted, they work fine (tested them on my other computer) , It's not the speakers because i have tried other speakers/head phones and still no sound, the stickers on my computer say : Hp compaq dc71000 SFF
dc71000 SFF Base unit
hp s/n: AUB51900018
p/n:DX878AV
Service tag Hp

And the windows sticker says :Windows xp professorial

If i have forgotten to include anything i am sorry but please help me my sound won't work and i am going crazy!!!!

(EDIT) It also said no mixer devices available and when i check the soundmax mixer it said it was enabled and working fine..

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Complete Computer Specs (DA-11948 - U.S. - Version 33 - January 31, 2006 --- Retired on January 19, 2006)
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/prod.....48_na.HTML

Download drivers and software - specify product name
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizs.....taskId=135

I think? that product was discontinued in 2006 so not sure what to do except for clean install with all drivers and updates.

Posted 1 year ago

squirrel1000

? all i want to know is how to get my sound to work oh and i lost my windows xp install disc :/

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Probably the audio driver was not properly/completely setup. Download and install ADI AC97 Integrated Digital Audio Driver Rick linked above.

Posted 1 year ago

squirrel1000

Okay thanks for the link but i have a problem Now my computer won't let me install anything!!! ( I am system admin) whenever i try to install something now it just says Setup failed to launch installation engine : The RPC server is unavailable . AHHHH what do i do now :/ (Besides buying /switching computer )

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!