The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Help me bring this dinosaur to life.

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Dasher
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 773 times

Dasher

So I've come across an old 1994 Packard Bell Legend 11cd, and I'd like to get it set up to (at least) run MAME. I've run into some troubles. This is my first attempt at anything like this, so I need some help. Here's what I've done so far.

Booted up, and it can't seem to find an operating system. Using a DOS boot floppy I discovered that I can't access either the hard drive or the CD-rom drive.

My question is, how should I go about troubleshooting this hard drive problem? I don't know if its a connection problem, or if the drive has failed.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Dasher,

WOW !!!!!!!!!

Check the cables.

Go into Bios and reset to defaults.

Put something in CDrom and see if runs.

What size is the drive in megs ??

If you have an old spare HD, put it on the end of cable and see if it runs.

It is (NOT) PS and (NOT) the video.

Post Back.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Dasher

As far as I can tell, the cables seem alright.

When I go into setup, it warns me that the CMOS checksum is invalid, and that it's loading the default values, I've also manually loaded the default values from within setup.

The cd drive tray seems to work right, but I can't find the drive through the DOS disk.

I'm trying to figure out how big the drive is right now, it's entombed in case right now, all i can tell at this point it that it's a seagate and it makes some noise (no noise I'm worried about though)

Unfortunately I don't have an old harddrive

Posted 6 years ago

Dasher

here's more details on the system:
50Mhz 486DX2 Cpu
640kb system ram
3072kb extended ram
384kb shadow ram

Still working on the hd specs

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Dasher,

Unless you have the (CONFIG.SYS) and (AUTOEXEC.BAT) files setup properly, you won't be able to read the CD in the Dos Boot Disk. Also on the Boot Disk, you need the (OAKCDROM.SYS) and (MSCDEX.EXE) files to reference to in the above Boot Files.

Abbreviated Boot File (there will be more entries)
==================================
[CONFIG.SYS] File
DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
[AUTOEXEC.BAT] File
ECHO ON
PATH=A:\
A:\ MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /L:G
REM @LH A:SMARTDRV.EXE
OAKCDROM.SYS file should be on floppy A:
MSCDEX.EXE file should be on floppy A:
Your Cdrom will be G:

If your Boot floppy has EDIT.COM on it, type in EDIT to edit above files.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Dasher

raphoenix,
i think i did what you said, edited the files, but I'm still not able to access the drive (says Device driver not found: 'NOSPIN' , No valid CDROM device drivers selected)

Also, the hard disk is a seagate st3491a 427mb

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Dasher
Be sure MSCDEX and OAKCDROM files are on Boot Disk.
Type DIR /P and hit enter key to look around.
Be sure you have some kind of readable CD in CDrom.
OAKCDROM.SYS is a generic driver and might not work on the model of CDrom you have.
See if there is another CDrom driver on your Boot Disk and substitute in CONFIG.SYS file.
Try another cable.
Disk drive Jumper should be Master and CD Jumper should be Slave. NO CABLE SELECT to force Devices.
The (4) things both devices have in common are the PS, Cable, Bios and Board Controller.
Discounting Bios, that leaves (3) items to trouble shoot.
The old power supplies could burn out one section and still have power on other connectors HOWEVER you have power on CD tray.
Are you still getting Bios checksum error on boot ??
Post Back.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Dasher

all the files seem to be there, but since i know pretty much nothing about anything inside the case, I'm probably screwing up somewhere. I'm going to get another harddrive to test, I'll have to figure out how to dig this one out first though.

I did find another problem, the CMOS battery is dead, so the BIOS are reset every time I boot. I've tried to manually input the specs for the hard drive, but between the jumpers, the BIOS, the cables, and the drive itself, there's plenty of places for me to screw up.

The cd rom isn't really my focus, I mostly want access to the hard disk so I can load a new OS, but I don't know how to troubleshoot a hard drive.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Dasher,

I would say you are Certainly at the Replace or Repair Point (LOL) :)

Best of Luck.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!