SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Help in dual-booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by bcmummy
  • Latest reply from bcmummy
  • Topic Viewed 2112 times

bcmummy

Okay, so I followed instructions to a T on a very thorough guide of how to partition and dual-boot Ubuntu Hardy and Windows XP (Except for the partitioning part; I had an existing large partition made for the purpose). I am getting Windows XP on the GRUB Bootloader, but it has an Error 13: Cannot read or execute format.

I can find plenty of guides on the internet about how to install a Linux distro AFTER Windows, but not how to install Windows after Linux.

Any help here?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Did you already install Windows, or are you trying to do so now?

Typically installing Windows after linux is simple... it just usually wipes out the boot loader.

Posted 6 years ago

bcmummy

I have already installed Windows. Ah; give me a second, I'll write down exactly what it says when I try to boot.

The bootloader looks much like this: http://static.flickr.com/61/15.....3889_o.jpg except that there are three different Ubuntu main loads and there are three recovery modes. (I'm sure this isn't normal.)

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Actually if you load a bunch of kernel patches on Ubuntu that always ends up happening. There's a command, I forget what it is right now, that will clean that up.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Read this comment for an explanation of how to get rid of those (the correct way)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ment-44354

Posted 6 years ago

bcmummy

Okay... well, the boot menu certainly looks a lot better, thanks, but unfortunately, it still will not boot into Windows XP.

When I attempt to boot into it, it shows "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format. Press any key to continue."

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention: soon after booting up, it shows:

Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 from 2004 if that should make a lick of difference.

Another difference between the screenshot and my computer is that XP is listed under memtest like it's another Ubuntu branch.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.