SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Help In Choosing A Router ...

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by vistual
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1248 times

vistual
vistual

hey Irv, not sure i follow ...
the magicjack plus doesnt require a computer connection / usb connection, in case thats what youre referring to. this version, the "magicjack plus" can work either hooked to your computer or hooked up directly to modem or router.
i ruled out the router cause or rather ruled it the cause of the problems cause of all the troubleshooting that ive done on my PLUS everything you did for me the other day still didnt fix all the issues. since you got a chance to tinker with i no longer experienced the error 23 i originally told you about but rather could not stay connected to a call for longer than a few seconds (literally). along with the fact that i was not receiving incoming calls most of the time.

took it to my job, hooked up to a similar router and didnt have any problems > copied down a few settings from there and set those settings in my own router and still nothing. > heres when i decided the router just wasnt playing nice with MJ ... ***plugged the MJ+ directly to the modem and didnt have NOT ONE problem at all. no calls dropped and kept on receiving incoming calls. leads me to only believe that this router is simply being problematic.
im okay with the change, even with spending the money simply because of the added features, stability, and performance of a newer router but more so because of the savings from the transition to this service.
im off now to pick up the RT-N56U. should be all set up by the end of the night since ive got a few errands to run and all. will definitely post back tomorrow at some point to let you all know how it goes.
p.s.
let me know if i answered your question as to why im looking at replacing the router

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Johnny, yeah, I understand now.

Routers can get into a 'funny' state occasionally. Powering them off and on can fix a lot of problems too... give that a try before opening the box for the new one, might fix your problems.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

DONE!
thank you all for taking the time to chime with suggestions especially Irv and Xhi that went above and beyond.
i invested in the new router and things are working as they should. im able to make and receive calls and the calls are not dropping.
honestly i think it was a small price to pay considering my savings on this new system as well as the benefits of better performance from the new router along with some added features. thanks again guys!

edit:
yes Irv, i just about put that thing through the wringer. i powered it on / off. i hard reset. i soft reset. i talked with it. i had coffee with it. took long walks in the park with it.
did it all man! just wouldnt give it up .......
; )

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

HOORAY!

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Johnny, which ROUTER did you get? ASUS? There are FLASH FIRMWARE updates available, get the latest. Also there are TWO alternative flashes, one an ASUS Beta and another a 'private' Russian flash. Both are better and have more functions that the stock firmware.

OF COURSE, if it IS working fine for you, then "it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the way to go.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.