SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Help In Choosing A Router ...

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by vistual
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1248 times

vistual
vistual

hi all .....
need some help choosing a router.
not sure if i should be looking at routers rated "G" or "N".
also, though i need it to be wireless, i also need to have the ability to physically plug into the router (prefer that it have ports for ethernet connections on back too)
looking to pick up the router from here: http://www.microcenter.com/default.aspx?

also hoping to also hear from xhi, since my sudden need comes from my recent investment in the magicjack which i remember he has used for some time now.
@mods, please forward my info to him - perhaps he can reach back if he's willing / has time.
@Irv, when you see this ...
yup - still struggling : (

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Most routers today come in G and N. N has a bigger range but your PC must have an 'N' WiFi. All routers I know have several ethernet ports where you can plug in with an ethernet cable.

The last router I bought (at BestBuy) was a Netgear G and N for $40.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

thanks whs!

yes i forgot to mention that i would like to keep it in that price range.
something around the $50 range or so. maybe a few bucks over at the most.

can you send me a link to the model you're referring to?
thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I am always lurking.

An 802.11n router would be my choice as it is latest and all are retro to 802.11g anyway. Also most routers come with the 4-port switch included for wired access. along with a WAN port to plug in the Modem. The magic Jack will use one of those ports. I have lots of models of routers that I have picked up in several places as well as my usual source, on sale at Tiger or Newegg. I have 2 Linksys 54G and a Linksys N300 and an old Netgear. As well as a 10/100/1000 switch. I would recommend that the router you get has 10/100/1000 capability in it's switch.

My Magic Jack still works great, both of them, the old as well as the Plus model. Any questions I'll be around.

Here is one I could live with although it does not have the gigabit LAN ports. Personally I'm a great fan of refurbished.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Mine is not listed any more (was last winter). But here is a whole list including some in our price range: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/se.....#38;ks=960

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

thank you guys ...

checking it all out!

Xhi, give a holla off the forum when you have a chance this afternoon / evening if you will.
thanks again guys.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

OK.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Johnny, BestBuy has a bunch of the 'newer' AC models for $200 or less... will work with your G, but prepare you for the future. ASUS makes one with 2 USB ports (I have the 'older' ASUS RT-N56U).

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Mike1030

I have this http://zoomtel.com/products/5790.html & Delink 2750 U both are great. Zoom got for 49 bucks & Delink for 39.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

@Xhi, what is "gigabit LAN ports"?
@whs, ive bookmarked two from that list, hoping for help in narrowing down ......
Asus - EZ N Wireless-N Router > and NETGEAR - Wireless-N Router >
@Irv, funds are a little tight for those. out of my price range. any thought on the ones ive bookmarked above?
@Mike1030, thanks for that!! looks promising and its supposedly available at MC for $40 bucks too!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The Asus looks good. It has good user feedback and is really cheap.

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

@Xhi can you explain what does "10/100/1000 switch" means? sorry but im not so familiar with routers specs and with your explanation would be about so that I could weigh more things when buying a router which I plan to do so this month I think.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

tech, an explanation?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.....isted_pair

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

@Mike Ohh I see. Thanks for that, I hope I'am correct of what I understand about the "10/100/1000 switch" so it means the speed/Ethernet speed is it? Though I already tried doing the cabling just the simple one doing these T568B straight-through cable but yeah I really do luck knowledge which go deeper about networking. So hopefully this coming 2nd semester I'll be learning a lot about networking stuffs. Thanks

EDIT: speed in Mbit/s ? So its means the "10/100/1000" suggest the speed of the router that it can offer? Am I right?

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

uh, and i thought i was confused BEFORE?!
what the %$#! is gigabit LAN ports and this 10/100/1000?!?!?
in english please! my google broke so im looking for an answer here.
oh & thank you : )

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Johnny, that ASUS (your link was bad but found it on BB) is a 150Mbps N router. Minimum you should get is a 300Mbps. They have better performance and range.

Check these links, might help you decide :

http://www.cnet.com/topic-reviews/router.html
http://www.bestcovery.com/best.....load-speed <-- I have the RT-N56U and it is very good, $99

Price might be an issue, but sometimes saving a few isn't worth it in the long run. With 802.1AC just arriving, getting the router (yes, these do approach $200 now) now will avoid needing to replace the lesser one you purchase later.

Although you run G speed now, upgrading to a USB N-speed device of 300Mbps or more, is fairly cheap. Most devices at $40 or less, even some at 450Mbps (but you need a router capable of that speed). Even the AC units have varying maximum speed.

Speaking of speed, a lot of that in terms of router selection, you have to take into account your ISP connection speed and router to computer distance and possibly causes of interference.

ISP first, if you have 10Mbps service, then G speed will do up to probably 40 to 50 feet away. G-speed routers are not DUAL band, but only 2.4Ghz, the same band many wireless phones use as do microwaves. N-Speed and AC-Speed routers (and connection devices) offer DUAL band, with a 5Ghz radio that is not bothered by that interference, however, range is generally less.

If you have higher ISP speed, then consider at least N-Speed, as with the G-Speed connection to your computer from the router could be less than what the ISP can deliver.

Planning for the future isn't a bad idea.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Johnny,

"what the %$#! is gigabit LAN ports and this 10/100/1000?!?!?"

Those numbers are in Mbps and the speeds that the RJ-45 connectors (these are the jacks that look like phone connections, only larger) and accept CAT-x cables. 1000Mbps = Gigabyte speed. The computer has to have the same speed. Most routers (although they can be set for specific speeds) automatically sense and connect at the speed of the cable/computer plugged in.

Old switches were at 10Mbps as were A/B router speeds. All done for backward compatibility.

So to achieve good Gigabit speed you'll need a router that handles it, a computer Ethernet card/port at that speed, and a good cable, CAT-5e or 6 depending on length.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

as i told you once already Irv, youre the BEST man! thanks!!

im checking it all out and can see why paying more now will save me $ later.
and yes while the price was awesome, im ruling that one out just based on the speed rating as you mentioned.
looking into the on you said you personally own but cant seem to find it for less that the 99.99. can get it at that price, shipped, cause of my prime membership or ....
actually as write this i just stumbled across it for $10 bucks less, shipped.
problem is im looking for immediate gratification, so that i can my phone set-up working as it should be once and for all >:S

okay so picking it up in-store at moment - $119.99 / $109.99 After Rebate Savings

last thing Irv, can i have your thoughts on this one (also linked to above) : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NE.....1&lp=2

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

update;
so thanks to the review site you linked to, i checked about the last one i was asking about and have ruled it out as well.
will go with the other one and feel pretty confident that ill be all set for a while.
thanks again all

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Johnny, just curious, why did you rule out that router? I assume that was because of NO USB connection?

If you didn't buy it yet. 'Cheap', has USB, probably good enough --> http://www.bestcovery.com/d-li.....best=29345

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!