How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Help for the town pc idiot. (me)

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by 75butterflies
  • Latest reply from michael
  • Topic Viewed 1225 times

75butterflies
75butterflies

I am completely and totally ignorant of computer tech issues. So whoever can help me, please give each step as simply as possible if there is even a way to save my computer.

We bought a computer just a little over a year ago - an HP Pavillion m7580n, it is one of those media centers with the specialized Media Version of XP installed. Now...

About every month - you can nearly set your clock by it. I have needed to reformat my hard drive. I just recently found out that I can do the F10 thing to avoid losing all my files. Thank Goodness. But what is going on! How do I stop his insanity...

Symptoms:
Once a month, suddenly I get error messages that refuse to go away... something about windows installer or something and I can not open my paint shop pro (the only thing I am good at outside of editing movies.) which is the other one that is effected - my sonic video editor. These error messages come on at start up and will not leave! And my programs won't work. I know many of you who know about computers probably will want the error code. We'll have to wait a month because I don't know what it is. I did read on another site that this is a problem for a lot of other Windows XP users.

My most recent attempt at fixing this (F10) has left my computer even worse off than before with constant crashes and slow internet. My panda says my computer is not affected by any viruses. I bought the brand new 2008 total internet protection software.

What is going on? My computer is just going crazy on me and I love this computer and can't afford to replace it when it has only been a year. Thank you so much for any help you can offer me.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

If you have the Recovery CD / DVD, then I suggest you backup all of your important files, and then you will have to use the Recovery CD / DVD to format your hard drive, and fully restore Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!