SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

HELP! External hard drive 5 years of photos HELP!

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by aquamarine
  • Latest reply from Enthusiast
  • Topic Viewed 589 times

aquamarine

Please help. I have an external hard drive and it has been working fine. But last week it has started saying that it needs to be formatted before i can use it. i unplug it and plug it back in and it has been working ok. today i plugged it in and it said that it is corrupted. the icon was showing in the computer part but not showing the data storage bit under it as normal. i unplugged it and plugged it back in and then it was saying 'Location is not available F:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.' so i unplugged it and tried again but the same thing keeps coming up. PLEASE help. i have no idea what to do and i dont want to loose all my photos.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Have you tried it on a different computer?

Posted 1 year ago

aquamarine

I dont have access to another compouter but we plugged it into the xbox. it showed it up on the list but would not access it.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

If the pictures are very valuable, you will need Commercial Recovery of the Hard Drive.

Examples Only:
http://www.securedatarecovery.com/contact-us.html
http://www.dataretrieval.com/

There are many more you can find by searching the term "recover hard drive".

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

Below is software that I have used to recover data from corrupt hard drives on many occasions and has worked well, alas it's not free but as raphoenix said if the pictures are valuable it could be worth the expense.

Also, always have 2 backups of your data, you never can be to careful.

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

You can try a free demo of the above and it will detail what it can recovered before you purchase. Could be worth a go at least!

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

While this is too late to help the OP (sorry about that), this is an opportunity to point out the need for backups. Not just one back up, either because they can also fail. If one values one's data, then one should have a minimum of two backups: one onsite and one offsite. Sure, the media required for backups, especially multiple backups, are costly but what is the value of your data?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

I would still try another computer, Xbox might not do it. Even if you have to pay a repair shop a few dollars just to see if they can access it. Might be worth it.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

If you take it a local shop ask them what they might be able to do before letting them just plug it in another system and really destroying the data for good.
When you plug the drive in go to disk management and see if there is a drive letter assigned to the drive. Sometimes it's better to leave your external hdd plugged in all the time vs. plugging and unplugging.

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast

But last week it has started saying that it needs to be formatted before i can use it. i unplug it and plug it back in and it has been working ok.

That was your warning that it was time to do something so you didn't lose all your pictures and data.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.