The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - HELP: Change Dell home page to IE 7 home page

(15 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by RedOwl
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 4311 times

RedOwl

Can someone please help me get rid of this dell default page?? EVERY TIME I HIT THE INTERNET EXPLORER BROWSER BUTTON I GET THE DELL HOME PAGE. Where is the original/standard Internet Explorer 7 homepage?? I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

I am using windows vista and bought my computer through dell which could explain why my browser settings are like that.

Help is really appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Simple: in IE, go to Tools (top right) > Internet options > in "Home Page" click on "blank" > Apply > OK. Restart IE. That's all.

Posted 5 years ago

RedOwl

Not sure about it being simple. I did that and when i restart internet explorer 7 i get a white page...in the address link area it says "about:blank"

I want the standard Internet Explorer 7 home page. Please can someone help. If i choose default as my home page---dell home page comes back.

Do i have to do something with my registry? There has to be a way.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Do what whs says and instead of blank, click on default.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Well, I just thought you wanted to get rid of the Dell page. But you can set any webpge as your homepage. You can either do what Scott says, and you get whatever is default in your system (in my system it is AOL right now). Or you can browse to a page and say "use current". Then you will get the page you currently have as your default.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Or, when you are on a website that you would like to use as homepage, (say: Google, or HTG itself!) click the arrow next to the home icon
> 'Add or change homepage'
> Then choose an option

If you want to get it precise, you can copy (or type in) the actual address into tools - internet options - homepage
if you want more than one homepage in tabs, just press enter (return)

Posted 5 years ago

RedOwl

Ok, I understand everything you are telling me and i appreciate it but maybe i needed to be more specific. For example...if someone wanted MSN as there main web browser--you would download it and MSN would provided you with there home page (giving you news,weather, maybe some pictures/video clip etc). Now say someone wanted to download IE 7 and use it as there main web browser--they would provide you with there own homepage with all those features as well right? So basically, where is that home page?? I can't find the IE homepage? Does anyone know the link to there homepage---not the address where you download a copy of IE but the homepage you are given once you download it and install. Thats what i want. What is the link to that so i can make it my default homepage.

Since i bought my computer from DEll they somehow merged there Dell homepage INTO Internet Explorer...see what i mean.

Or if i am not making any sense and IE functions differently then let me know.

I appreciate you guys for helping me out.

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw
milnerw

http://www.msn.com

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

I know exactly what you mean, but I'm not sure how to get it :/
Try resetting all options?
Tools -internet options -advanced (i think :P) it's in there somewhere

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, there is something I don't get:
1. In Vista you do not "Download IE7" - IE7 is an integral part of Vista and there is no MS website from where you can download a Vista version of IE7 (at least to my knowledge). You can, however, download IE7 for XP.
2. I have never heard of an IE7 Homepage (but Aleeve seems to know something - maybe he can explain). I have seen, however, e.g. an Opera homepage with the Opera browser or a K-Meleon homepage with the K-Meleon browser. They call that "Home". But there is no such thing in IE.
3. MSN is not a browser that you download. It is just a webpage that you call. But you can make it your default homepage if you call the link that milnerw posted and then click on "use current" in Tools > Internet options.
In summary I think you are mixing things up (browsers and webpages).

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw
milnerw

The reason I listed MSN is because I remember in IE 6 and older that was the default homepage... I think. It's been a while since I've installed IE6.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

milnerv, I just wanted to clarify what RedOwl said quote: "if someone wanted MSN as there main web browser". Here is where he is mixing up "browser" and "webpage".

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw
milnerw

whs, yeah, I figured. I just wanted to clarify why I posted a random website.

Posted 5 years ago

RedOwl

I forgot to thank you guys. Glad you clarified some things for me whs. I resolved my issue. :)
What I do find fascinating is that IE 7 is integrated with Vista like you said and YET if you ever wanted to download it for Vista you cant. You'll have to download IE 8 in case you ever manage to corrupt IE 7. Strange.
Unless theres an easy explanation behind it.

Anyway, thanks. This place is great; gonna recommend it to more people.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I am glad you are making progress and that we could help. Come back any time - you and your friends.
Regarding the IE you are right. The same goes for WMP, WMM and many other components that should be available seperately and not intertwined with the operating system. I understand that they are going that route for some components in Windows7. That will make replacing a component a lot easier - one can then download the individual component rather having to reinstall the whole system with all the headaches that this implies. Last time I did a reinstall (and that is over a year ago), it took me 3 days to get everything back in order.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!