The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

[solved] help cant del shortcut

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ribbit69er
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 2205 times

ribbit69er

was downloading a game demo and power went out and i cant del this Overlord_PC_Demo. size of it is zero bytes when i del it or should i say try it says "the action cant be completed because the file is open in another program , close the file and try again.

i have admin rights to everything and cant del it.

in properties it says

type of file: application(.exe)

i scan comp thinking something was up got no virus or spyware on my system at all. just a note to all i rebooted and retryed and same thing i cant del it, had it on my comp for over 1 week.

Posted 6 years ago

crazlunatic

perhaps its being used, maybe check your processes for an overlord program and end it before deleting.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

crazlunatic is correct, what you should do is open up task manager and find any processes that look out of place and end them... chances are one of them is hung with the .exe open.

Alternatively you could probably restart your computer and then try and delete the folder.

Last resort is to restart your computer into safe mode and do it there, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Posted 6 years ago

ribbit69er

nope just recheck that. it should show up there but i closed all stuff and tryed(some stuff it would not let me) i will try safe mode now

there is no folder only icon

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Did you download it from a reputable location? If you got it from anywhere else, you might want to virus scan as well... a lot of games downloaded off bittorrent and other sites end up having viruses in them.

Posted 6 years ago

ribbit69er

Thank you "Geek" all set
safe mode worked.
I never download off of sites that are not legal.

funny thing is i had no folder just icon and in safe mode it showed the folder.

can close

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Awesome! Glad we could help.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!