The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

HD jumpers settings??

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by steviehouse
  • Latest reply from steviehouse
  • Topic Viewed 1857 times

steviehouse

I want to add a second hard disk to my pc and I understand that the original HD should be set as master and the second as slave with the jumpers. However I look at the jumper settings of my existing HD and hey, there are no jumpers. So my question is, if I left the original HD with no jumpers and made sure that the second HD was set to slave would it still work? Or am I gonna need to get a jumper from somewhere to make sure the original HD is set as master using jumpers?
Thanks in advance for the help

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

The master/slave jumpers are used in the older IDE hard drive standard. If you have the newer Serial ATA hard drive type then you don't need to worry about them.
Here is a picture of an SATA data cable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I....._Cable.jpg
If your drive plugs into a cable like that then you have a Serial ATA drive and don't need to worry about jumpers.

Posted 5 years ago

steviehouse

The existing Hd takes one of those SATA data cables, but the second HD I have doesn't. Its a Maxtor DiamondMax 10, model no. 6L250R0 and its apparently a PATA133 HDD. I didnt realise that until now. I onlt have one of the necessary connectors on my motherboard and that has a cable attached to my two optical drives. no spare connector for my HD. So I guess I either have to find a parallel cable with 3 connectors or just buy a Sata HDD right?

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

> parallel cable with 3 connectors
This doesn't exist. Hard drive parallel cables only come with two connectors.
You can however buy an adapter to convert the parallel IDE drive to use SATA.

Posted 5 years ago

steviehouse

I had a feeling the parallel cable with 3 connectors didn't exist, just thought I would test you guys. I've got an external casing for the 250Gb PATA drive, so I think I might just leave it in there as backup and just buy a 500Gb disk for my PC since they only cost ~€50 (or maybe i'll go bigger, who knows, hehe)
Thanks for the help jd ;)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.