The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

Having a Computer made-with OS X

(20 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by smorton
  • Latest reply from smorton
  • Topic Viewed 2557 times

smorton

My IT person has suggested that he will built a computer for me that would use OS X for the main OS and then run Windows and Ubuntu via VMware. Today I spoke to a person at the Geek Squad. He said this could not be done. He suggested I buy a Mac and then run Windows via Bootcamp. He said that Bootcamp is not like VMware in that when you are running Windows you are only using one operating system and with VMware you are running both the OS X and Windows, hence draining the resources somewhat.

My IT person seems very credible and I am wondering who is right in this instance. My IT guy was talking about a very fast processor and 8 gb of ram. I wonder who is right? Also, does bootcamp operate differently than VMware in that you only are using one OS?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sm

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

sm, the Geek Squad person is right about Bootcamp. It allows you to dual boot between Mac OS and Windows on Apple hardware. VMware, VirtualBox, Parallels and all of the Virtual Machine software does split the resources and runs a second OS (guest) on top of the primary OS (host). Also, they probably suggests Mac hardware because Best Buy can't make you a Hackintosh in violation of Apple's Software License. Your IT guy is just a guy and is unlikely to be sued by Apple, but Best Buy has deep pockets and can't take that risk.

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

Thank you for your response. I do not want to do something illegal but it seems like the laws must be somewhat complex and I guess at this point if my IT person can built it, I am not going to worry about it.

I wish I had the specs for the proposed computer. They were given to me but I can't find them right now.

I know it has a high end processor and 8 gb of ram. I do not like the idea of rebooting and that probably would be a deal killer for me. As I understand, a Mac and Windows 7 take about the same time to boot. I would want to use VMware rather than rebooting.

I have to have Windows due to my work. I kind of want OS X and ubuntu for hobby purposes and for sufing the net, as they seem to pickup fewer virus'. This is subjective, but any thoughts on whether this is a foolish pursuit on my part? Overkill?

Thanks again.

SM

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

SM, no matter how you have Windows installed, it will still have the same security exposures to malware. Even if it's running in a VM on top of OS X or Linux, when Windows accesses the Internet, it will be exposed to all of the same dangers as without the VM. So you will still end up wanting an anti-virus program running under the Windows guest OS inside the VM and you will still want a firewall and so on. Windows vulnerabilities will still need to be patched with Windows Updates because the malware doesn't care if the target system is using a virtualized network adapter or a dedicated hardware one.

It's certainly not foolish to want to experiment with other operating systems for hobby purposes. The one thing that I would caution you about, though, is having your hobby OS interfere with your *work* OS. For example, if you were running OS X as the host OS then running Windows in a VM with VMWare or Parallels, then any trouble with OS X could inhibit you from being able to get your work done. In such a configuration, tinkering with your hobby OS could cause you to lose access to your work OS. You also would have to deal with any trouble coming from the VM software.

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

Thanks.

It is hard to decide. I like the package they offered me. They tell me it will work and it will be fast. I would need anti-virus, etc.

If you think of something else I would like to hear about it.

SM

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

You bring up a good point about not having my hobby OS interfer with my "work" OS. That said, it is my understanding that the OS X operating system is much less likely to be bothered by virus', malware, etc. I also hope that my hobby OS doesn't interfer with my work because I find myself very undisciplined in using the computer. It is almost addictive. It is a good way to shut out the real world.

The plan is to use an Intel Quad Core 2.83 GHZ processor. That appears to be good. Do you have an opinion on this, combined with the 8 GB of ram?

Thanks

Sm

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I don't run OS X or keep up with Apple products, so I have no idea how well it will run on a 2.83 GHz Core2 Quad. However, that's a good CPU and with 4 cores and 8 GB of RAM, there will be plenty of resources to divvy up between OS X and Windows. In theory, you could split it down the middle and assign 2 cores to each OS and 4 GB of RAM to each.

The concern that I have about the work OS running on top of the hobby OS is not just about viruses and malware. However, it's a good example to start with. As I said above, you will still need to take all of the normal precautions with Windows that you would if it were installed as the host OS. And while OS X is less likely to become infected, that doesn't mean it's impossible. So in addition to keeping Windows security up-to-date, you will need to have security in OS X as well: firewalls, anti-virus and anti-spyware, and regular security updates from Apple.

The problem that I would worry about more is that any hobby tinkering with OS X has the potential to cut off access to the work OS. If you install some driver, software, or update that breaks OS X, you might be unable to launch Windows in the VM. If you are willing to accept that risk, and maybe take steps to mitigate it, that's your call. However, I'm sure that you know your boss is unlikely to be understanding if you say, "I can't make that work deadline because I'm having trouble with OS X."

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

Maybe I should use my old Mac, or speed it up and have a Windows XP and ubuntu machine make and use the OS X via a KVM switch. I did that and it worked very well.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

SM

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I like the idea of isolating the work OS from the hobby OS. This way, if your Mac OS breaks, you can still meet that work deadline.

I'm assuming, of course, that you don't create the same problem by running Windows in a VM on top of Linux! :-)

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

Actually I thought I have that covered. My old Windows XP Pro would be wiped clean and reformatted. Most business apps would be run on that comuter which would not be connected to the net. I would still have to transfer files via dropbox or something like that.

thanks

sm

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

So, if I understand correctly, you would keep the older PC running XP exclusively and use that for work. Then your new system would have Mac OS and Linux for all of the hobby stuff, right? You could also play with a Windows install on the hobby system, such as Windows 7 in a VM or something.

Sounds good.

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

Yes, I would still need Windows on the new machine to run a web hosted Outlook and several things like that. I am sure there could be problems but are any real obvious?

In a perfect world what would you do?

SM

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

In a perfect world, I would buy two computers and sell or donate the old one. One would be exclusively for work and Outlook hosting. The other would be for all the hobby stuff -- Mac OS, Linux, whatever.

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

Probably the most sensible thing to do. You you want the same processor named above on one or more of the machines?

SM

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

In the ideal world, you would want an even better processor in both of them. But, back to reality...

If the work PC has performance requirements, than those should be addressed. Running MS Office is not too terribly strenuous, but I don't know about Outlook hosting. After the performance, the next most important criteria would be reliability and serviceability. Of course, there's price.

For a hobby system, price is of a higher importance, provided the basic performance needs are met.

Posted 5 years ago

gazzanova

one of my systems i built purely as a hackintosh machine, its very rewarding when you can get it to functioning correctly with all the right kexts

i tend to use virtualbox as a vm as its free and compiz-fusion works on it for the fancy 3d linux desktop

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

Well, to the credit of my IT person it took him a very short time to get my Hackintosh working. And it worked perfectly. Then with the KV switch I could go back and forth in minutes.

Does using a virtualbox and another OS drag down your computer?

thanks

SM

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

How hard is it to put in a new processor in an existing computer? Dell with Window XP pro.

thanks

sm

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

sm. Can you put that in a New Topic please.

Posted 5 years ago

smorton

Yes. Sorry.

sm

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.