The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

HarperCollins Browse Inside Tricks

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by randomapples
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 832 times

randomapples

HarperCollin's Browse Inside is a feature that let's you read the first couple chapters of a book, to get "a taste of it". If you go to "File" and click "Save As" as "Complete Web Page", you can see that each page is actually an image that goes something like "GetPageImage_023.jpg". The number "023" varies between each page of course. I figured if I knew where the "GetPageImage_023.jpg" image was online, you could easily change the last numbers of the file name to read any page you want!

However, their code is sneaky and it what you see in the "Source Code" doesn't reveal the location of the "GetPageImage"s. Anybody have any ideas how to make it work? An example of a Browse Inside book is here: http://browseinside.harpercoll.....061458569. However, it only goes till the eight chapter. I believe though, that with the right info, you can access any page. How do I know this? Well, if you use the Search bar to search the book, it shows you excerpts of pages that aren't even included in the Browse Inside. That means that there are more pages - they're just not posted for everyone to see.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

I doubt very highly the whole book is available online, 'sneaky' or not. We can listen to the same 30 seconds of music on iTunes or Amazon, the rest of the song isn't hidden.

With all due respect, if you like what you're reading you could actually buy it.

Regardless, while on the surface your's may seem to be an innocuous request, a crack to help you isn't allowed on our forums.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!