The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Hardware Info

(6 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by mntleo2
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 1716 times

mntleo2

I know about Device Manager already, so this is not the answer I need.

I was looking for the type of RAM I have on my motherboard without opening the computer, I just cannot seem to find anywhere what kind of RAM I have. I have also checked in the BIOS settings information and it was not in there either. Is there anywhere I could look without opening the darn thing up as to what kind of RAM my computer is using? I have WinXP and it is an older computer (around 3 years old) so I also could not find the info at the motherboard's website.

I did eventually open the box up, by the way. However the RAM stick had no label. Now I am REALLY curious! I am just wondering if there is a software place to look I haven't thought of, or do I need to remove the stick and find a tech who might be able to find out what kind it is? Youdda thunk they might put this information somewhere, but nope ~ and what a pain if there is no place to look!

Thanks so much!

Cat In Seattle

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

Here's what you want... System Information for Windows

http://www.gtopala.com/

It'll give you loads of good information about your computer, and most likely the memory type as well.

Posted 7 years ago

Teufel
Teufel

Another good utility for memory and processor info is CPU-Z, it shows you all the memory related (like type, no of channels, slots,latency etc) info as well as a lot of detailed info about your processor.

You can download it from filehippo.com

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

After many years using Belarc, I finally downloaded SIW. They compliment each other but for sheer info, the latter is superior.

Posted 7 years ago

mntleo2

Thanks so much! I downloaded SIW and it is fantastic! It immediately gave me the information I was looking for as soon as I downloaded it. You are awesome for answering so quickly and with info that worked. Now I can upgrade with no sweat! I did suggest in the programmer's Bounty area that perhaps they write some kind of program for WinVista or XP that would give you that info, say in Device Manager or someplace. I would have thought since this is perhaps the easiest and fastest upgrade anyone can do, that would be info that should be readily available.

Thanks again, you RAWK!

Cat In Seattle

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I also wrote an article about this, to help people in the future:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....installed/

Thanks for the idea...

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.