The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Harddrive Burned Out?

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by hippyheart62
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1188 times

hippyheart62

I have an old harddrive with alot of info on it and every time I hook it up to either of my computers and turn either of them on, they come on for a second (enough for the fan to give a few twirls) and then shuts down. What is wrong with the harddrive and can I take it in to be fixed so I can get my info off it? Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

chris

Hippyheart62.. if you have an old hardrive.. you have an old computer... right? i suggest that.. just get a new one..it would cost you a lot of money to fix that old junk... if you have some important imformation in it.. then try to ask one of those... helpers in best buy or.. like.. computer shops.. or whereever you go to get computer stuffs.. but seriously.. don't try to fix it.. oh yea.. how much GB does it have?? you should post more imformations about your stuff

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Your hard drive is likely near death. The good news is they're easy to replace. The bad news is it's a coin toss whether you'll be able to recover any information.

Lot's of web based info on what to do next, here's a start:
http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+failing

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Does the computer go "beep" before it shuts down. If so, how many times.
Practically, all data is able to be recovered from a dead hard disc, just depends how much you want to pay!

Posted 6 years ago

hippyheart62

Thanks for your replys! I have a new computer and this IS my old one I was talking about. I was just using it in my garage for my artwork. It is my harddrive that is on the fritz. I guess I got to hang out with the computer store to see what they can do to retreive my info. Thanks again!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

OK I dont know what the computer store are gonna do, but if they cant recover your info then tell me. I have something up my sleeve

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!