How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Hard drive keeps filling up - please help

(16 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Orky
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 3464 times

Orky

Hi all

I have 2 hard drives: C and D. Both are 40 gb. Windows is installed on C. Recently, I borrowed an external hard-drive of 500 gb. I noticed that my C drive started filling up rapidly while using the external drive. Soon the drive was completely full. I removed the external drive and deleted some unneeded stuff. This seemed to solve the problem, until I started installing new software, at which point the problem returned. C:\Documents and Settings\User folder takes 28.7 gb's of space! What should I do?

PC is a P4 2.8 ghz running XP sp3

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Orky hi,
What kind of unneeded stuff is your doc & setting folder filling up with? This would help.

g-x

Posted 3 years ago

Orky

If I open the folder, there are a number of subfolders inside, but none of them are all that large. If I right-click on the folder and select Properties, folder size is listed as 27 gb's. However, the size of the folders inside is no larger than a few MB's. If I select 'Show Hidden files' I can see a folder called Local Settings which is 27 gb. Inside this again is another hidden folder called Application Data which is listed in it's Properties as containing 27 gb, but when I open it and select all the items inside, they add up to 71.6 mb.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

They might be the shadow copies. read this
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/.....534,00.asp

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

It wouldn't be shadow storage, that would be limited (if set correctly) to probably 10% of the hard drive. I'd suspect TEMPORARY files doing you in OR you're A/V.

I had a similar problem when using BOOTVIS on Vista (which it isn't made for), it was using disk space.

When on XP I also had a problem with Norton's A/V eating up disk space, all unallocated, when it continued to run.

In any event, lets find out WHERE the disk space is being used. So, with that in mind, I'd suggest you change the settings in Windows Explorer. Under TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS VIEW tab turn on Show Hidden FIles and off for Hide Extensions for Known File Types and Hide Protected System files. Then look in those folder, SORT by size to put the largest at the top and see if any are large.

Also, get http://www.uderzo.it/main_prod.....index.html it will show the large files and where they are. It will also show UNALLOCATED space by a setting.

Report back please.

Edit by mod: link corrected

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Bad link, Irv

Posted 3 years ago

Anonymous

Looks like Irv was referring to this program : SpaceSniffer

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Opps, actually the link is so good I put it there TWICE it seems. Look at the status line when you hover over it. ReviverSoft has it correct. Sorry.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

Shivdu

Delete that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Advice deleted by mod

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, remove/delete C:\Documents and Settings\User folder from your hard drive.... it will render your system UNBOOTABLE!!!!

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

Shivdu

Blank

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

**Thanks Irv for the heads up.**
Shivdu, please do not post that advice again, I have edited your posts.

Orky, please follow the advice from HTG's senior member

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Shivdu

why do u people become so complicated?? Computers can be made the way they were if they crash!

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

@Shivdu,
Your correct, and I agree with you but if the OP doesn't know how or if they DON'T have an installation and driver disk laying around it makes it hard for someone to make them the way they were.
Different members have slightly different views and fixes based on personal experience and knowledge.
Some run their own reapir shops and see this stuff daily.
This OP is able to boot windows and everyone is trying to help. If he /she just start deleting folders then then next bootup might have the pretty blue screen which doesn't help anyone.
Hope this helps answer your comment.

g-x

Posted 3 years ago

Shivdu

Yeah! Sure it does....but people should atleast know that which files are there system files and what are their correct locations??

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Shivdu, please allow the OP to continue (if he ever comes back). Also, you don't help the OP.
Don't hijack the topic.

Please do not do this again, final warning mate

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.