SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

[hard drive error] Sec Slave Hard disk: S.M.A.R.T status BAD, backup and replace

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by rossi789
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 8279 times

rossi789

Today I installed Windows 7 on my XP machine, firstly as I have only one hard drive in my PC, I partitioned this into XP, 7 and a backup section. After installing 7 i proceeded to start installing some software including itunes, firefox, windows live messenger etc. When installing Kaspersky internet security I discovered errors with a driver for KIS, I then searched the internet for a solution and discovered I needed the latest version. I uninstalled 2009 and installed new version, after the second restart kaspersky requested for database update i received this message in BIOS:

Sec Slave Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to continue

Im not sure what has caused this or really what it means, is my whole hard drive now to be condemned? Or have one of the partitions failed? I am currently running error checks on the XP partition and backup partition. What else can I do?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Hi rossi. What is the make of your hard drive ?

Posted 4 years ago

rossi789

Its a Samsung Spin Point SATA II 640gb

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Thanks. I have 3 of those (different sizes) but great disks. Try their diagnostic tool,
http://www.samsung.com/global/.....HUTIL.html

Posted 4 years ago

rossi789

I have a slight problem with that, no floppy drive :(
Might be able to get my hands on one shortly though, if not i will have to wait until tomorrow to go out and buy one.
Thanks for your responses.

Posted 4 years ago

rossi789

Just spotted that there is a CD version of the software so disregard the above comment lol

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Thankyou. Will do :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.