The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Hard Drive Down

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by joelefors
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1378 times

joelefors

Hard Drive Died - luckily had all my music backed up (Hallelujah!). Now trying to retrieve rest of data.
400 GB SeaGate. System showed signs of instability, replaced everything else until I realized it was the HDD.

Symptoms/Issues:
1. Cannot boot from drive through IDE.
2. If HDD is connected to motherboard and not the boot drive, system will hang up during BIOS bootup.
3. Tried using IDE to usb transfer enclosure and adapter kit - cannot find drive when in Windows XP.

Please help. Ricky

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Two things you can check:

1. Make sure you set the jumper on the drive to Slave. The proper jumper settings should be printed on the drive.
2. Start up your BIOS and make sure that this drive is not selected as one of your boot drives.

If you still have issues after that, let us know.

Posted 6 years ago

wallaceb

you can also run advanced tests on the drive using a test called Drive Fitness Test

Edit by mod. Links to direct downloads are not allowed.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

joelefors,

It is very rare for a Seagate to fail. Am interested in what the HD test findings.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

wallaceb

sorry, if direct downloads are not allowed, here is the page where you can find the tool
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/.....ad.htm#DFT

Posted 6 years ago

joelefors

Have been pretty attentive to Master/Slave jumper settings and BIOS boot settings.

wallaceb, the Drive Fitness Test looks good, but I'm not able to see the drive yet. Shouldn't an IDE to USB drive reader at least show it in XP's 'My Computer'? I've even tried "Computer/Disk Management" and that does not show it either.

Did I mention the guys at Fry's were stumped when I took it to them a couple months ago?

Posted 6 years ago

wallaceb

if it is not even seen in XP with a USB adapter, it is possible that the on board controller is malfunctioning.

you said that if the drive is set as the boot drive, the system will at least boot.
i would have it set to the boot drive, and run the DFT, one of the tests it runs is a controller interface test.

i think that is the most important thing to do is test the drive.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

joelefors,

What is Make and Model of your Machine ??

Regards,

Rick P. ♣

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.