Toshiba Satellite P755 laptop, Windows 7 Home Prem 64 bit, 5GB HDD, 4GB RAM, Office 2007, Firefox 19.0.2, AVG Anti-Virus, MalwareBytes

After running the following utilities (which I do about once a month and up to now have had no problems), my laptop has slowed down to a veritable crawl. Loading programs take forever, using the internet (Firefox) and Outlook has become painful in that loading a tab takes forever and reading, writing and sending emails suffer from huge hangs and often indicate they are not responding often causing me to restart using the power button. The utilities I ran are:

GlaryUtilities:
Clean Up and Repair: Disk Cleaner, Registry Cleaner, Shortcuts Fixer
Optimize and Improve: Registry Defrag
CCleaner:
Cleaner: Windows & Applications
Registry: Registry Cleaner
MalwareBytes: Found and removed 1 malware file
Auslogics Defrag
AVG Anti-virus: no viruses found
Windows 7 Error Checking
Found and repaired one file in sector – name contained "Hibern"
Rebooted after file checking completed.

When I realized I was having a problem, I restored the registry backup I made before running the Registry Defrag. When that didn't work, I ran the Registry backup in GlaryUtilities. When that didn't work, I tried to do a System Restore, but to my surprise all of my restore points were gone!

1. Is there any way to find a system restore point to restore from my backup?
2. What do I do to get my laptop to its previous condition if I can't restore to a system restore point?
3. If I have to reset to the factory settings, how do I do that? What will I need to reinstall?
4. What can I do to keep this from happening again?

Thank you!

Posted 1 year ago