The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Hacked Win7 computer

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Dic
  • Latest reply from afuhnk
  • Topic Viewed 590 times

Dic

One of my Win7 m/cs has been hacked. From time to time, the hack asked me for my ‘master password’, presumably for KeyPass. Since I intend doing a clean install Win8, from DVD, I wondered if I could safely move KeyPass to a flash drive, i.e. without taking the hack with it, and then copy it to the new installation.

I haven’t entered my KeyPass password since I discovered the hack, but wondered if copying and pasting my KeyPass from a flash drive might be a secure way of accessing it on another m/c. Alternatively, I wondered if using KeyScrambler might be a safe way of accessing my KeyPass from its present location. Another thought: open it in Sandboxie.

Any ideas, you clever people?

Incidentally, since running CCleaner, MalwareBytes and Windows Security Essentials scans, I have had no further requests for ‘master password’; but I’m taking no chances, in case the hack is ‘playing possum’.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You give the "hack" waaaay too much credit.

Posted 1 year ago

Dic

Thanks, Xhi, for that helpful shorthand response. Have all your previous 5193 posts been as helpful?

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Any ideas, you clever people?

Seeing this I'm sure some people may find it offensive on some level.

How exactly was your computer hacked?
If you do a clean install, and you want to make sure your KeyPass is safe, I'd suggest changing all your passwords (through the 'normal' password changing options - that is, not using KeyPass to change them). And forget about KeyPass until you reinstall Windows and re-create a new KayPass with those newly update passwords.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Type msconfig > click on the startup tab > verify that Keypass does not start on windows startup.
You might want to check the settings to make sure the app doesn't auto prompt for password so it can start /open.

Posted 1 year ago

Dic

afuhnk:

How might that possibly be 'offensive on some level'? Certainly wasn't meant to be.

How hacked? I'm not clever enough to know.

Thanks for your suggestions; I'll certainly follow them, when I clean install.

germ-x:

Thanks for that; I'll check it out in the morning. Bedtime here, Downunder.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Dic, I meant 'what makes you think you have been hacked'. What are the symptoms. There's a major difference in being hacked and being infected with virus or spywares...

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!