The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Hacked -- How to regain access to my computer

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gbattle
  • Latest reply from wagin
  • Topic Viewed 462 times

gbattle

My laptop computer has been hacked. At first, my system's password was changed and my keyboard was not typing properly. NOW, my computer will ONLY boot to the "Windows Error Recovery" page, but will NOT permit me to select either of the two options displayed (Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally). I can not advance my screen beyond this point. I have EVEN tried installation the operating systems disk for Windows 7, but it was not recognized.

HELP!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

gbattle hi. Run DBAN,then re-install your OS. It will delete everything on the drive.
http://www.dban.org/

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Do you have any data you want to save? If so I would boot from a linux Live CD and transfer those files/directories to an external HDD. I would also make a bootable BitDefender CD (there are plenty of others as well you can use) and boot off that to scan your disk for malware just to see if you indeed have a malware problem. You say you have a lappie so unless it is really old you should have a recovery partition you can access by depressing a key(s) at boot. If you don't know what key(s) to press you can consult your hardware documentation or look it up on the manufacturer's website in the user manual. This will format your disk and restore the machine to it's original configuration. If all fails then I would nuke it like Lighthouse suggests.

It would help a little if you post your make and model lappie. maybe we can get more info for you gbattle.

Posted 1 year ago

wagin

To back up, Slax is the Linux I recommend. It's also bootable via USB.
The 192 MB OS is a powerhouse!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!