The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) Guest account access

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by NYCaribou
  • Latest reply from NYCaribou
  • Topic Viewed 1372 times

NYCaribou

I did a search on password protecting files and whs answered a thread posted a year ago saying that files could be encrypted, or else I could set permissions on who can access files.

I am going away for a weekend (8/14 to 8/17) and my friend will be spending some time at my house on Sunday to feed my cat. As close as this friend is (very much like a brother), there are some things on my computer I'd like to keep from him.

I've created a guest account which he would be able to log on to (he couldn't log in with my username, he doesn't have the password). How can I change permissions for what folders and programs the guest account cannot access or view?

If he would be able to view these folders and programs regardless, then I will probably just remove the guest account and he wouldn't be able to log on to my computer.

Posted 5 years ago

Santo

From a Guest account no one will be able to access your files or folders. All the applications that require admin access or if it prompts for UAC then those applications are not accessible.

I would recommend you to login to the Guest account and check if you are able to access your data in your user account.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

NYC, I can't tell you who to trust -- your friend or even a real brother. I can tell you that with unfettered access to your PC, it would be easy to see *all* of your files with no need for a login account. I would boot up your system with a Linux Live CD, just as described in this article. No login prompts or passwords required. Once your NTFS file systems are mounted in Ubuntu, I can read your documents and mail, look at your family photos, and so on.

You can try it yourself and you will see how easy it is.

Posted 5 years ago

NYCaribou

ROFL.... sorry if it sounds like I'm mocking you; I'm not, but it is kind of funny to hear the breakdown of how to access my data, and here's why...

Maybe I should have clarified... my friend is nowhere near that computer savvy. He is far far less knowledgeable than I am, and I am maybe 15 to 20% as knowledgeable as an MVP like yourself... as good at computers as I consider myself to be.

My friend is pretty much a layman at computers... but he knows how to click "My Computer" and then double click on a folder. He knows how to access "My Documents" and "My Pictures." I'm figuring that a guest account will keep him out of any files and folders under my user name. Maybe I just need to temporarily move anything private into that directory... my user name.

As for how much I trust him... I trust him with my life. I have trusted him with my bank account. There are just some files on my comp that I don't share with anyone at all.

NYC

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Glad that I could give you a good laugh! I'm not talking about what's probable, but I want you (and everyone else reading along) to know what is *possible*. It is dead easy to bypass a simple Windows login prompt to look at files. That login prompt is not designed to prevent snooping.

It's good to know that you can trust your friend, but what about the cat? You know what a reputation they have for being curious and with all of that time and nothing to do, kitty may start thinking, "I wonder what he has on that computer?" >^_^<

Posted 5 years ago

NYCaribou

Well... cats don't speak English, so whatever he sees and hears on it... I'm sure he won't tell *snickers*

I followed Santo's advice and checked the guest account. I'm satisfied that it can't see anything that I wouldn't share. None of my Firefox bookmarks are viewable in the guest account, none of the files in my username's directory can be seen. The one or two programs I wouldn't want found and run, can't be started up and I simply changed their names in the start menu to something inconspicuous. My friend has no idea how to do the bypass that you MVP's know how to do, so I can rest easy that he'll see nothing that I keep to myself.

Easy as it might be to view all the things I don't admit having, to anyone, my friend has no idea how to do that. Hell, *I* didn't know until you told me half a day ago, and I'm pretty good at computers. Just nowhere near as good as an MVP, like I said :p

I'll see everyone after I come back from my trip.

I didn't consider this a "problem" post, but the issue I brought up has been resolved to my satisfaction. Thanks for the responses.

--NYC

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.