The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Group Policy - Windows Live Messenger

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by lasm02
  • Latest reply from michael
  • Topic Viewed 8983 times

lasm02

I'd like to enable the message history in Windows Live Messenger for my tree kids. They should not be able to disable it. In the registry, the username is encrypted (something like 2292680293) and the key MessageLoggingEnabled is also encrypted. Any clue ?

Posted 6 years ago

Teufel
Teufel

Check this thread out;

URL: http://www.msghelp.net/showthr.....pid=283794

There is a program mentioned in the steps which you can download and find out the binary id associated withe user account. The starting steps are also useful.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You can't force the Message Logging in Messenger to be on, in part because of the key encryption. Also the user can just delete the log files after the conversation so it wouldn't be fool proof if you could.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

But what you could do is install Messenger Plus! Live, and have it place the chat logs in a folder which is password protected.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

What do you mean by "folder which is password protected"?
There is no such thing in Windows.
And if there was one would need to type the password in to log messages there.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

I mean encrypted. If you modify the security settings of a folder via properties you can deny certain users from accessing it.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. That wouldn't help in this case though as this person wants to see the IM logs of other users. So the folder would need to be unencrypted first for the logs to be put there by the Messenger user thus it wouldn't help.
The OP would need some software that can run as a service to read the IMs of a limited user to be sure the logging couldn't be bypassed.
From a quick Google search there appears to be quite a bit of software designed to monitor IM messages.
Like parentsonpatrol.org which clams to silently record messages from MSN, Yahoo, AIM and MySpace IM and put them on it's web site for a parent to view when they want.
It apparently has a free version that has limits on the amount recorded and how long it's stored for.
I found that software by Google Search for "Recording Children's IM Conversations" then http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/raskin/546
Of which I would say like the yahoo page says one should tell the children that their IMs are being recorded.

Edit: Also with a service like that you would have to trust them with keeping the recorded IM message.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Thanks for posting your solution. =)

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!