How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Grounding issue

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by vickybuddie
  • Latest reply from TheShadow
  • Topic Viewed 981 times

vickybuddie
vickybuddie

I have 'earthing / grounding' problem at my home. That is, when connected to the power outlet through the UPS, my CPU cabinet gets 'body-current'. Touch it and U get a electric shock. Just how much damage can it cause to my computer?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

A lot. You better do something about that, e.g. grounding the box. Run a wire to the closest waterline - if that is in metal. Else run a copper pipe into the ground in front of the window and a wire from there. Make sure there is good contact everywhere including the chassis of your PC.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

Your better off getting a licensed electrician,there may be serious problems through out the house.Although you said this only happens with your UPS system?I would bypass the Ups first and see if that corrects the problem.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Sparky as an electrician should know. You better follow his advice. Maybe my earlier quick fixes do not suffice.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

@whs,you were real close my friend.There should be proper sized wiring from a copper grounding rod AND a metal water pipe (cold water side) to the main electrical panel.Wire size depends on the amperage of the main electrical service.My thoughts are a faulty UPS,I'd just plug the computer directly into the wall outlet and if good,have the UPS checked out.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Sparky, I appreciate your kind words. I just wanted to make sure that he understands the dangers of static electricity in his box and does something about it asap.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

Another way would be to pound a copper ground rod in the same room as the machine.And whatever the size of the wire going to the wall receptacle,I'd go a size larger using a ground clamp on the rod and then bond it to the computer chassis.@whs,you are welcome,for you are such a very kind person.You proved your patience on an earlier thread with one of our future geeks.:p

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Ya, I always think it's worthwhile to spend some extra time with our young audiance - especially when it is obvious that they are eager to learn. After all, they are our future.

Posted 6 years ago

vickybuddie
vickybuddie

Thanks a lot guys. I truly appreciate all your help.

Posted 6 years ago

TheShadow
TheShadow

Hello!
I'm new to this forum, but an electronics tech of 44 years, so grounding is nothing new to me.
A big problem I see often is that people will NOT plug their entire computer system into the same outlet. That's a absolute MUST!

Everything that touches your computer tower, electrically, should be plugged into the UPS and it should be plugged into a three pronged wall outlet.
That will keep everything on your system at the same polarity and grounding potential.

If the computer system is properly grounded and you have static on your body, like from a wool rug, the static will find its way to ground thru your computer. Do something about your own static in that case.

Where I live, here in Florida, static is NO problem, but when I lived up North, static was a huge problem in the winter.
But, static or no static, it's still advisable to keep your whole system plugged into a common circuit.

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.